Less calorie food that fills

Options
Angall08
Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
What foods are there that are low in calories but fills you up quickly.??

Replies

• madsnice
    madsnice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure there are any. Give different veg ago like broccoli and carrots with bell peppers. Taste good with a lean steak.

• Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »

So honestly I've found that it's better to eat higher calorie foods that are satiating.
    • Cucumber/tomato salads.
    • Quinoa cooked in chicken stock (healthy and filling!)
    • Siggis drinking yogurt
    • Baked Brussels Sprouts
    • Tri-color baby carrots
    • Avocado! (high cal but very satiating. Same w/ pistachios)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is going to depend on what macronutrients you personally find more satiating. Some people find protein to be very satiating, others get the same results from fat, fiber, or even carbohydrates.

When I want to bulk up my meals with lower calorie foods, I usually go for vegetables. Some of my favorites are roasted broccoli, shredded cabbage, and spiralized cucumber/zucchini. If I want something more savory, I'll go for sauerkraut.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Eat low carb high fat high protein foods. fats and protein fills you up quicker and makes you satisfied longer.

Or if you eat carbs eat the complex carbs (oats brown rice brown pasta etc), simple carbs just make you hungry right away (sweets sugar bread pasta etc)

This study proves that in 19/20 of the studies, the low carbs groups lost more weight than the low fat groups even while being on the same caloric deficit. And obviously and with no doubts, the mid section (belly size) of the low carb dieters had a clear advantage over the low fat dieters.

https://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Simply because first of all, fat and protein keeps you fuller and satisfied longer than carbs also because insulin sensitivity.a 150 calorie of chicken breast/tuna or eggs/cheese/butter will keep you fuller than 150 calories of rice/pasta/donut/cake

If you are someone that struggles with feeling full and always feel hungry on a diet, try ketogenic , atkins or intermittent fasting diets.

Hope it helps
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like cucumber.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I made smoothie for snack that filled me up.
    4 cups of spinach
    1 banana
    1 frozen peach
    Ice & water
    1 lemon juice

I did not taste the spinach. It was delicious

• GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, this is one of the first things I learned about me--which of my rotation of meals was satisfying yet lower in calories.

Soup. I really like hearty soups--beans, lentils, split peas. Because of my kids, I always serve homemade biscuits w/ honey when we have soup. I find this a low-calorie, satisfying, filling meal.

Fish. OK, most fish is not so filling. I usually serve it with larger portion of a very filling veggie--brocolli or sweet potato. Even though sweet potato is higher in calories, it is offset by the low-calorie fish.

Stir fry. OK, the rice is kinda high calorie. But if I portion it so that my high-veggie stir fry is the bulk of the meal & don't go over 1 cup of rice, it is a modest meal. And I serve white, not brown rice, since my daughter likes white & my son doesn't like either. If you served brown rice, you'd be better off than me.

Salad as main course. I have salads for lunch a lot. When I make it a taco-type salad, I use salsa instead of salad dressing. (no chips or tortilla) The bulk of the salad is romaine lettuce & salsa. Then whatever is available to keep it interesting, but not too much fat--avocado, meat, pepper, beans, refried beans, etc.

Salad as main course. OK. I often make salads for lunch from leftovers from dinner and I use unusual dressings occasionally. BBQ sauce is also a much lighter dressing--romaine/spinach, meat, cheese BBQ sauce. Yummy & modest.
  • kcannis
    kcannis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like stir frys with shredded brussel sprouts, riced cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, and red peppers or eggplant with chicken breast. Try eating a 3 cups of vegetables wiht 4 oz. of chicken breast. Very filling. Put a low calorie seasoning on it. I like the new sugar-free bbq sauces. They taste sweet and sour.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like, and what you mean by "low calorie". My favorite snacks these days:

Frozen mango with loads of cinnamon. A whole 10oz bag only has 180 calories, and that is a LOT of fruit.

An ounce of walnuts is also about the same amount of calories ~180 and is also filling (for me).

Same for an ounce of pepper jack cheese.

Low cal and also filling would be baby carrots and home made hummus.

• mhussain790
    mhussain790 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend eating more fiber as it's slow-digesting and can help you feel full immediately. Oatmeal, fiberOne Bars, beans, etc. are good options.

Also, try to mix carbs like mixed vegetables with protein such as vehicles, lean beef, turkey, etc.. A mix of carbs and protein can keep you more full throughout the day.

Here are some more low-calorie foods you can check out:
    www.slimquick.org/preventhunger.html
  • dre_710
    dre_710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love cucumber with a dash of salt and a squirt of lemon! Very low on calories and makes me feel full for a few hours...sometimes I add some chili powder to switch it up a bit, yum! :D
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Shirataki noodles (and pasta and rice) and am totally digging it! They are super low on calories and carbs and very filling and allow you to combine them with any veggie, sauce or protein of your choice... Cucumber is not making me feel satiated unfortunately, but I am in love with those konjac yam noodles (plus they are vegan and gf) :wink:
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    There is no food that will satiate the black hole I call my stomach, once it's within reach it has already crossed the event horizon.

an "Out of sight, out of mind" approach seems to be the best way to control hunger for me.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Veggies/fruit
    Buy tubs of spinach and spring mix at the store and things you can add that too (like a chipotle burrito bowl) will make it very filling with hardly any extra calories.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Carbs fill me up, I wish it was fat or protein but its not haha.

I bulk my meals out with veg though. Like 1/2 a cup of oats is filling for me but not very much volume wise. If you shred a zucchini into them before cooking it makes like 3X the amount for 35 calories (give or take) more.

1/2 a cup of quinoa is pretty small but if you throw it on top of a very large salad its filling and a big portion.

Another favorite is carrot chips with gauc. Gauc is super calorie dense but carrot chips/ slices aren't plus the fiber is very filling.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Protein, fiber and/or fat are filling. The combination that is filling for you?....I don't know. You will have to test things out for a bit, but you will figure it out.

Eat low carb high fat high protein foods. fats and protein fills you up quicker and makes you satisfied longer.

Or if you eat carbs eat the complex carbs (oats brown rice brown pasta etc), simple carbs just make you hungry right away (sweets sugar bread pasta etc)

This study proves that in 19/20 of the studies, the low carbs groups lost more weight than the low fat groups even while being on the same caloric deficit. And obviously and with no doubts, the mid section (belly size) of the low carb dieters had a clear advantage over the low fat dieters.

https://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Simply because first of all, fat and protein keeps you fuller and satisfied longer than carbs also because insulin sensitivity.a 150 calorie of chicken breast/tuna or eggs/cheese/butter will keep you fuller than 150 calories of rice/pasta/donut/cake

If you are someone that struggles with feeling full and always feel hungry on a diet, try ketogenic , atkins or intermittent fasting diets.

Hope it helps

A bit yes (complex carbs are generally satiating).....but lots and lots of no.

I choose a moderate weekly weight loss goal so that I don't have to go hungry or radically change my diet. There are plenty of people here who don't low carb.....that aren't hungry.

IF is meal timing.....period. It works for some, not for others.

Low carb is faster "weight" loss in the beginning. However that "weight" is WATER weight (glycogen stores). The water weight returns if/when you start eating carbs again. Belly fat....nonsense. Diets don't spot reduce.

Losing weight is just the first step.....a temporary (radical) change in my diet means I have to figure things out a second time....when I get to maintenance.

Agreed. Lots of "nope".

High fat was not satisfying my hunger. A combination of carbs (with fiber), protien and fats do it for me.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Protein, fiber and/or fat are filling. The combination that is filling for you?....I don't know. You will have to test things out for a bit, but you will figure it out.

^ this! Everyone is different. For me, for example, I totally steer clear of nuts. They never make me feel full in any combination and the drain my calories.

I find that it is the combination that helps. I never just grab 1 thing to eat. But maybe a smaller mini meal- something with protein, fat, and carb (ideally something with fiber). I can have 1 cup of cottage cheese with frozen blueberries and be way more full than eating a bowl of veggies. Now a bowl of veggies with chicken, much more filling.
  • Hawabashi
    Hawabashi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go for cabbage when I want a big, filling meal with low calories. I shred it and usually cook it in some chicken stock and I season it however I like. Lately I've been using a little soy sauce and asian chili garlic sauce. It's so good and I can have a huge amount with minimal calories. I usually pair it with a lean meat for dinner. I also like that cabbage is super cheap! :)
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    veggies work or low calorie yogurt, i eat one cup or half cup of green beans or peas or even pinto beans and they help fill up and keep you full longer because they are full of fiber