Healthy low calorie vegan recipes?

Caitlin1812
Caitlin1812 Posts: 16 Member
I need to eat healthier. What's your favourite healthy vegan lunch/dinner recipes that aren't too high in calories. I've been eating the same processed stuff daily... only because I have no idea what to cook so haven't bothered buying anything. (Veggies are super expensive here at the moment)
Please help me out

Replies

• raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Chick peas, tomato, red onion, cilantro, garlic, Greek olive oil, lemon juice. Salt & pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients and let it chill in the fridge. Supper easy and healthy.
  • Caitlin1812
    Caitlin1812 Posts: 16 Member
    Sounds great thanks :)
  • jessicak93
    jessicak93 Posts: 1 Member
    I really like lentil dhal which I make a massive load of and then freeze, by frying up onions, garlic and ginger til soft, adding carrots chopped small, then adding curry powder, turmeric, cumin etc, mixing and frying for a minute before adding dried red lentils and some veg stock to cover them. Then when the lentils are cooked (may need to add more water), I add some chopped up tomatoes and some spinach for a few minutes and then finish with a splash of lemon juice. Usually have with some broccoli and/or rice :) Sorry for lack of measurements, I just throw stuff in the pan!
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2017
    You can probably make lots of rice dishes/risottos. Like rice and beans (kidney beans or black bean), rice with shredded carrots and cabbage, rice with spinach or rice with mushrooms. Except for the spinach one the other rice dishes are cheap to make depending on where you live. Just measure your rice and add more of the veg for less calories. You can also get a bag of frozen veg (carrots, peas, corn, I add sautéed onions too) and add to the rice. I think most of the rice dishes are 300-500 calories. (If you use olive oil to sautéed onions or cabbage then it's closer to 500 mark) Also I like hummus, chickpea soup, lentil soup, white bean and tomato soup. These have lots of protein. There are nice ideas for vegan burrito bowls on Pinterest I have no idea which vegetables or beans you can get where you live. Maybe if you give us what ingredients you can get we can give you recipe ideas
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    This makes a great dinner or lunches: http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited May 2017
    I love to cook dry beans from scratch and typically do a “bean-of-the-week”. I’ll soak beans overnight on a Saturday, drain and rinse, then cook in the slow cooker on Sunday. I grew up eating beans on a regular basis, so I love them in all kinds of recipes, or with just salt & pepper. I also do a “grain-of-the-week” and do a 6 cup batch. Brown rice, millet, quinoa, bulgur, wild rice blend, etc. I have a large collection of dry spices and herbs and I love flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegars. I’m lucky that there is a local store called The Olive Cart that has lots of gourmet flavors for me to choose from. I love tofu, too, and have that 2 or 3 times per week. I always have Asian flavors in my cupboards, too, like Ponzu, soy sauce, sweet chile sauce, etc. I buy the ones with the least amount of ingredients. Oooh – I also love my liquid hickory smoke and use it with tofu and greens. I also always have bags of frozen veggies that I can steam quickly and serve with my grain-of-the-week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What's your preferred calorie and/or macro range for dinner? I usually follow the "grain, green, bean" formula (http://www.nomeatathlete.com/grain-green-and-bean/) for dinner, although your "bean" can be whatever protein you'd like, and you generally need some kind of sauce or seasoning too.

Some examples we've eaten recently:
    - Mongolian-style soy curls with broccoli and red rice
    - Baked tofu, peas, green beans, and asparagus in a sweet soy-sauce based dressing over brown rice
    - Sweet and sour tempeh with peppers, onions, and pineapple, over...you guessed it, rice.
    - Pinto beans and cornbread, or baked sweet potato and chili, with vegetable of your choice. Now we're playing a bit fast and loose with the formula, but if you're willing to accept that cornbread or a sweet potato is more or less equivalent to a "grain," it still works.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited May 2017
    Your cheapest vegan options are going to be combinations of various dried legumes, pulses, grains and seeds, many of which are super cheap to buy in bulk or in bags, combined with the less expensive vegetables like potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, onions etc. These vegetables also have long shelf lives, weeks or months sometimes if stored properly. With some careful planning I think you could eat for a few dollars a day if you want to.