working out before or after i eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I workout after food I have more energy .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    should i get in my 20 minutes of cardio before or after i eat? which will be more effective for fat burning? should i wait like 20 minutes after i eat to do cardio? heeellp

It doesn't matter...the exercise isn't going to burn fat...an energy (calorie) deficiency over time is what burns fat. When you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quo, your burn stored energy (fat) to make up the difference.
    You should eat after cardio!

To use your body's fat as fuel, you need to have a low enough circulating blood glucose to activate that energy pathway. If you eat prior to a workout, it could take up to thirty or so minutes of exercising to activate that pathway. Therefore, your entire workout is spent burning what you just ate, rather than stored energy (fat).

However, if you eat a reasonable meal afterward, your body will be ready to use what you have eaten to repair muscle tissue and restore glycogen stores in the muscle tissue with the energy it is given.

Obviously, this is not to say that putting your body in starvation mode prior to exercise is the way to go. The key to any sustainable life change is balance. But if you would like to use your body's physiology to your advantage, I recommend eating afterward.

Hope this helps ☺️

You constantly cycle between fat burning, glycogen burning, fat storage, etc throughout any given day...when you eat and train is irrelevant.