Blood Type Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I always forget what blood type I am, so does that mean I can eat anything? I'm actually A-, but for some reason I am convinced I'm really B-. Can't donate because I'm English living in the States and apparently I'm a mad cow.

Same thing here in Ireland, they are crying out for blood, but won't accept it from anyone who has spent more than 4 weeks in the UK. Despite the fact there is no way of knowing if you have CJD until your dead and can be autopsied, so the few cases where those who've received blood transfusions and have gone onto contract the disease could well have had it well before they had a transfusion. I personally think it's a little ridiculous.

Sadly same for me - born in Germany in the mid-80s and spent more than 6 months there before coming to the US. I'd give as often as I could if they'd let me. :/

Blood type diet.... it just makes no sense. As an A, I'm supposedly supposed to eat lots of seafood (which makes me sick) and no dairy (which makes me sad). I'm also supposed to avoid pistachios and cashews, two of my favorite nuts. Geez... I'd be such a sad panda if I followed this woo.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I always forget what blood type I am, so does that mean I can eat anything? I'm actually A-, but for some reason I am convinced I'm really B-. Can't donate because I'm English living in the States and apparently I'm a mad cow.

Same thing here in Ireland, they are crying out for blood, but won't accept it from anyone who has spent more than 4 weeks in the UK. Despite the fact there is no way of knowing if you have CJD until your dead and can be autopsied, so the few cases where those who've received blood transfusions and have gone onto contract the disease could well have had it well before they had a transfusion. I personally think it's a little ridiculous.

Sadly same for me - born in Germany in the mid-80s and spent more than 6 months there before coming to the US. I'd give as often as I could if they'd let me. :/

Blood type diet.... it just makes no sense. As an A, I'm supposedly supposed to eat lots of seafood (which makes me sick) and no dairy (which makes me sad). I'm also supposed to avoid pistachios and cashews, two of my favorite nuts. Geez... I'd be such a sad panda if I followed this woo.

I'm an A, and would be happy with lots of seafood, but also very, very sad with no dairy :(. I have no idea what else would go into the diet, but I eat everything, so I'm probably not doing it right ;).

I'm looking forward to being able to give blood again. I used to try and donate all the time, but had low iron issues so it was always a victory when I could pass the threshold. I have about four months left on the exclusion for donor tissue though, so fingers crossed (and no more knee surgeries!), I should be able to donate again soon!

Edit:
    I found the Type A suggested list:

http://www.sevenwellness.com/A_Blood_Type.pdf

What the what?!?! Under highly beneficial meats and poultry: "NONE – type A thrives on a vegetarian lifestyle. But, being realistic, just keep intake of meat as low as possible." Nooooo!!!! I'm so glad this is complete woo and not a real thing, lol. I do love my veggies. . . . but I'm a meat-at-every-meal kind of girl.

Edit 2:

I also "can't have" anchovies, butter, pasta, seltzer, tomato, banana, or cheddar cheese?!?!? WHAT EVEN IS THIS NONSENSE?!?! Those are some of my favorites. CICO for the win.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AB+, can't donate, don't believe in the blood type diet as its a bunch of woo

Me too! And I donate so frequently, consider it made up for.

I don't know what the diet reccommends for us, but my diet includes loads of salmon, cashews, pop tarts and string cheese. Am I doing it right?

For your entertainment:
    Type AB reflects the mixed inheritance of their A and B genes. According to Dr. D’Adamo, “Type AB has Type A’s low stomach acid, however, they also have Type B’s adaptation to meats. Therefore, you lack enough stomach acid to metabolize them efficiently and the meat you eat tends to get stored as fat. Because type AB has both the A and the B blood type antigens, foods that contain chemicals called lectins are more likely to react with the tissues and cells of type AB than any of the other blood types.

Type AB should avoid caffeine and alcohol, especially when you’re in stressful situations. Dr. D’Adamo recommends that Type AB focus on foods such as tofu, seafood, dairy and green vegetables if you are trying to lose weight. “Avoid all smoked or cured meats. These foods can cause stomach cancer in people with low levels of stomach acid,” recommends Dr. D’Adamo. There is a wide variety of seafood for Type AB, and it is an excellent source of protein for Type AB. A few highly beneficial fish are mahi-mahi, red snapper, salmon, sardines, and tuna.. Some dairy is also beneficial for Type AB – especially cultured dairy such as Yogurt and kefir.

Dr. D’Adamo also recommends smaller, more frequent meals, as they will counteract digestive problems caused by inadequate stomach acid and peptic enzymes. “Your stomach initiates the digestive process with a combination of digestive secretions, and the muscular contractions that mix food with them. When you have low levels of digestive secretions, food tends to stay in the stomach longer.” Explains D’Adamo. He also suggests that Type AB pay attention to combining certain foods. For example, you’ll digest and metabolize foods more efficiently if you avoid eating starches and proteins in the same meal.

Food list:
    http://www.sevenwellness.com/AB_Blood_Type.pdf
    Well, at least when someone sees you digging into a jar of peanut butter with a spoon, you could just tell them you're not being gluttonous, your're simply eating for your blood type.

Yeah the stomach cancer thing had me freaked out when I was much younger and first heard of the diet. People were throwing around all kinds of "studies" to back it up and I was convinced I was destined for an early death (really), until my doctor pounded some sense into me.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm B+ but that has nothing to do with diet.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a story about a woman who lost weight and credited it all to the blood type diet, and then later realised she was a different blood type than she first thought!? She was eating the opposite of what she was supposed to for her "true blood type".

Lol. You've got to find that story!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    I'm type B too :) rare blood type here in my country :D

B+, didn't realize it's rare for where I live too...I never looked it up until this thread, pretty interesting.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    "Right now I'm a freshman
    In my fourth year at UCLA
    But my goal is to become a veterinarian
    'Cause I love children"

I loved you before but now it's multiplied
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    AB+, can't donate, don't believe in the blood type diet as its a bunch of woo

Me too! And I donate so frequently, consider it made up for.

I don't know what the diet reccommends for us, but my diet includes loads of salmon, cashews, pop tarts and string cheese. Am I doing it right?

For your entertainment:
    Type AB reflects the mixed inheritance of their A and B genes. According to Dr. D’Adamo, “Type AB has Type A’s low stomach acid, however, they also have Type B’s adaptation to meats. Therefore, you lack enough stomach acid to metabolize them efficiently and the meat you eat tends to get stored as fat. Because type AB has both the A and the B blood type antigens, foods that contain chemicals called lectins are more likely to react with the tissues and cells of type AB than any of the other blood types.

Type AB should avoid caffeine and alcohol, especially when you’re in stressful situations. Dr. D’Adamo recommends that Type AB focus on foods such as tofu, seafood, dairy and green vegetables if you are trying to lose weight. “Avoid all smoked or cured meats. These foods can cause stomach cancer in people with low levels of stomach acid,” recommends Dr. D’Adamo. There is a wide variety of seafood for Type AB, and it is an excellent source of protein for Type AB. A few highly beneficial fish are mahi-mahi, red snapper, salmon, sardines, and tuna.. Some dairy is also beneficial for Type AB – especially cultured dairy such as Yogurt and kefir.

Dr. D’Adamo also recommends smaller, more frequent meals, as they will counteract digestive problems caused by inadequate stomach acid and peptic enzymes. “Your stomach initiates the digestive process with a combination of digestive secretions, and the muscular contractions that mix food with them. When you have low levels of digestive secretions, food tends to stay in the stomach longer.” Explains D’Adamo. He also suggests that Type AB pay attention to combining certain foods. For example, you’ll digest and metabolize foods more efficiently if you avoid eating starches and proteins in the same meal.

Food list:
    http://www.sevenwellness.com/AB_Blood_Type.pdf
    Well, at least when someone sees you digging into a jar of peanut butter with a spoon, you could just tell them you're not being gluttonous, your're simply eating for your blood type.

Wow. I'm AB- and eat pretty much the complete antithesis of what and how they say I should. (No seafood ever, two meals a day, the list goes on...) According to this diet, my 130lb loss has to be a complete figment of my imagination.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a story about a woman who lost weight and credited it all to the blood type diet, and then later realised she was a different blood type than she first thought!? She was eating the opposite of what she was supposed to for her "true blood type".

I also remember hearing that. Gonna have to try and find that when I have time. If someone else doesn't beat me to it.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What 'bout MN system? Or any other bloodtype system ppl are not familiar with? I guess it was not cool enogh to get a woo diet baste upon it.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What 'bout MN system? Or any other bloodtype system ppl are not familiar with? I guess it was not cool enogh to get a woo diet baste upon it.

You must be a blood banker. :'D