Does donating blood really burn calories?

Options
abrubru
abrubru Posts: 137 Member
I donated blood today (I do it regularly), and the nurse that took my blood informed me that donating blood burns 650 calories. Does anyone know if there is truth to this? I normally do not watch closely what I eat after I donate blood as I think my body will tell me what I need, and I was significantly over on calories. I would think that your body would use a small amount of calories rebuilding your red blood cell count, but not much more than that...anyone?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Your body will have to replenish the blood, but that doesn't happen all at once, and it's a process your body already does every day anyway. I say eat a bit extra the day you donate if you feel like you need to. Otherwise, business as usual! I've never even considered donating blood as a calorie burning event. I have thought about how much that pint of blood weighs though :lol:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Your body will burn a few extra calories over the next 6 weeks to replenish the blood. It's not an extra 650 calories in a single day, it's more like 15 extra calories per day for 42 days.

This. It's a misstatement to say a donation burns 650, as that implies that 650 calories disappear at the time of donation.

Rather, in replacing that blood your body burns an extra 650, but replacing it takes weeks, which is why you can't give blood again for a period of time.
  • abrubru
    Options
    I have never considered blood donation a weight loss event, but was more curious about if or how the calorie burning occurred. It totally make sense that it would happen over the 6 weeks it takes to recover red blood cell volume....
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If so, I need to donate more often.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It does, but over a matter of weeks. The results of long term studies (20+ years) showing other benefits of blood donation, other than the obvious saving the lives of others.

There are a few studies released based on data from the US Cycling team showing benefits of iron reduction and increased erythropoietin levels. Bottom line if you can donate - do it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    It does, but over a matter of weeks. The results of long term studies (20+ years) showing other benefits of blood donation, other than the obvious saving the lives of others.

There are a few studies released based on data from the US Cycling team showing benefits of iron reduction and increased erythropoietin levels. Bottom line if you can donate - do it.

Iron reduction is only a benefit obviously if you have iron levels that are too high.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »
    I donated blood today (I do it regularly), and the nurse that took my blood informed me that donating blood burns 650 calories. Does anyone know if there is truth to this? I normally do not watch closely what I eat after I donate blood as I think my body will tell me what I need, and I was significantly over on calories. I would think that your body would use a small amount of calories rebuilding your red blood cell count, but not much more than that...anyone?

Your question was answered but i want to thank you for your donation. It is an easy thing to do and can potentially save a life or make surgery safer for the recipient.

Regarding your question, I don't consider donation a calorie burning event but I do ignore the calories in my after-donation snack (although I pick the healthiest thing available)
  • abrubru
    Options

What does erythropoietin do for you? Also, iron reduction is not really an issue that women should be concerned about as we naturally reduce monthly, but I have read studies about how high iron can be damaging for men.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It isn't exactly "burning" calories, but blood contains actual calories.... mostly in free fatty acids, but also some protein and a tiny amount of carbs (glucose). You 'lose' those calories when blood is removed because the fat circulating in your blood goes along with it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »

What does erythropoietin do for you? Also, iron reduction is not really an issue that women should be concerned about as we naturally reduce monthly, but I have read studies about how high iron can be damaging for men.

Erythropoietin (EPO) is the hormone stimulating erythrocyte (red blood cells) production. More EPO = more RBCs = more efficient use of oxygen = improved endurance.

People at higher altitudes tend to have more RBCs and increased oxygen carry capacity, which is why many endurance athletes incorporate some manner of hypoxia (low oxygen) training into their regimen as this also stimulates EPO production.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I think they mean the overall energy it requires to replenish that in your own body over the time it takes to do that. I think it's negligible daily... dont' they give you a cookie after? you're done! lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I think they mean the overall energy it requires to replenish that in your own body over the time it takes to do that. I think it's negligible daily... dont' they give you a cookie after? you're done! lol

Yeah, it is about 600 calories spread out over 6 weeks. When I donate I don't count the post-donation snack (a cookie or snack bar or maybe a bag of pretzels and some juice) and consider the whole thing a wash
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, l learned something new
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had to give a pint of blood per week for 16 weeks, 2 gallons, and it didn't effect my weight at all so I don't think there is any truth to it. It takes 48 hours to replenish your volume and longer to replace platelets and hemoglobin but the only weight loss would be temporary from the 500ml removed.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I had to give a pint of blood per week for 16 weeks, 2 gallons, and it didn't effect my weight at all so I don't think there is any truth to it. It takes 48 hours to replenish your volume and longer to replace platelets and hemoglobin but the only weight loss would be temporary from the 500ml removed.

So much? We're only allowed 500 ml every 8 weeks of whole blood.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

So much? We're only allowed 500 ml every 8 weeks of whole blood.
    It was due to a medical condition, hemochromatosis. My iron was at toxic levels in my organs and aggressively taking blood until the numbers get to normal is the treatment.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sheesh. But that reminds me I have to take my iron cause donating blood and working out a lot makes it go a bit low for me so I didn't always have enough to donate.