Tired and hunrgy/nauseous - food related?

Options
Misssynth
Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
Hi guys.
So I've been using MFP for a long while now, with good results. I've recently upped my excersise from 3 or 4 days a week to 6 (not all high intensity though) for the past 3 weeks.

Yesterday I actually fell asleep reading in the middle of the day which I never do and woke up feeling drained and tired. I added a couple of fried eggs on top of my lentil curry for lunch and had a cupcake at work (not the best choice I know but they were there and taunting me!) and felt much better. Today I had by breakfast as usual. Then by 10 I felt nauseous, the kind you get when youre too hungry, but my body kinda skipped the hungry stage. I ate a yogurt. Felt better. Now an hour later I feel nauseous again. All I want to do is curl up on the sofa and eat chocolate!

I've been eating back some of my excersise calories. My basic intake given to me by MFP is 1520 and I consistently go over that so I should be eating enough. Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Food diary is open though sometimes I forget to finish it in the evening.

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You need more sleep. Your body is telling you, but you're not listening!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you do more exercise, be aware that your body also will need more rest for recovery.

Also, it's always possible you are fighting off a cold, virus, bug, or something. That can challenge your immune system a bit and it needs to get proper nutrition and rest to work effectively. Even if you don't feel sick.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    How has your sleep been? Are you cutting into sleep to exercise? Have you been having trouble sleeping at night? Fatigue can cause cravings because your body is seeking energy, and food is energy. It craves sugar because it's the quickest and purest form of energy.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Also just to make sure...not to be TMI but I usually get like that a day or two before TOM. My appetite focuses on chocolate and I want to curl up in bed. I usually don't even eat candy that often but once a month...

Illness, too little sleep, stress... all could cause this too. I hope you feel better soon!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal based on mfp or a tdee calculation?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'll suggest a pregnancy test, just in case.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found I got stronger when I exercised every other day. The recovery day was when I actually regained strength.

You may simply not be giving yourself enough recovery time.
  • Misssynth
    Options

Haha. I get a solid 7.5 to 8 hours a night. My sleep is fine.

It's MFP. I thought MFP worked out my tdee calculation for me and used that, am I wrong?
    annacole94 wrote: »

Bahahaha if i could even remember what sex was maybe i'd take you seriously
    Also just to make sure...not to be TMI but I usually get like that a day or two before TOM. My appetite focuses on chocolate and I want to curl up in bed. I usually don't even eat candy that often but once a month...

Illness, too little sleep, stress... all could cause this too. I hope you feel better soon!

Could be! I'm really irregular because of my implant so I never know when it's 'time', and sometimes I get hormonal and cramps and then nothing happens, so thats actually a possibility.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »

It's MFP. I thought MFP worked out my tdee calculation for me and used that, am I wrong?

Could be! I'm really irregular because of my implant so I never know when it's 'time', and sometimes I get hormonal and cramps and then nothing happens, so thats actually a possibility.

If you're using mfp you need to be eating back some exercise cals, you net really low numbers sometimes... maybe your body is telling you to slow down and fuel more.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

MFP uses NEAT. That's TDEE - exercise. This is why if you're using MFP you are supposed to be eating exercise cals back.

On the other hand, if you use a TDEE calculator and set your MFP calorie goal based on that, you wouldn't eat your exercise cals back.
  • Misssynth
    Options

If you're using mfp you need to be eating back some exercise cals, you net really low numbers sometimes... maybe your body is telling you to slow down and fuel more.

I do though! I have a fitbit which recons I burn like 700 extra calories at work when I already have mfp set to moderately active (or whatever it is) so I ignore that but I always eat back some/most of my actual work out calories. If I eat any more I won't lose anything, I'm already only averaging half a lb loss when ive got mfp set to 1lb! I'm so confused.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I do though! I have a fitbit which recons I burn like 700 extra calories at work when I already have mfp set to moderately active (or whatever it is) so I ignore that but I always eat back some/most of my actual work out calories. If I eat any more I won't lose anything, I'm already only averaging half a lb loss when ive got mfp set to 1lb! I'm so confused.

Tuesday you ate 1000 cals and exercise was 899, Wednesday you ate 1900 cals and exercise was 1400?

The numbers aren't right somewhere?
  • Misssynth
    Options

Tuesday you ate 1000 cals and exercise was 899, Wednesday you ate 1900 cals and exercise was 1400?

The numbers aren't right somewhere?

I 100% won't have only eaten 1000 cals. I bet I didn't finish logging. Some days I dont finish my diary. Wednesday sounds right. I ran, burned 600 cals. So ate 400 of those back. The rest will be fitbit from walking around work
  • Misssynth
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RIGHT!
    BMR - 1612 on one calculator, 1649 on another.
    TDEE - 2786 on the first, 2555 on another.

I eat on average between 1700 and 1900 a day. MFP set me at 1520 which makes sense for the BMR but then I guess I'm eating like 900 less than my maintenance for TDEE a day which can't be good?? Or am i getting it wrong? Jeez.