Shoulder twinge but not painful...

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hi all

I wonder if you can help.

I've recently been experiencing some shoulder twinges during certain workouts, its only in the left shoulder...well its not the actual shoulder, its more like inbetween shoulder and bicep but the twinge is more towards the outer arm. I've been sat here ages moving my arm around trying to figure out exactly where it is and that the best I can describe sorry!

If I do a push press or clean and press with barbell I don't feel it...if I do an upright row with barbell or a kettle high pull I feel it, if I do a one arm press with KB I feel it - what could this be? it feels like I have something stuck and I'm not able to full rotate it like my right arm.

It does also happen to be the side I sleep on...well kind of, I lie on my front with my head towards my right side and my left arm behind me but near my head and I do often wake up with what feels like a dead arm...could this be the cause?

It doesn't effect my everyday life, just those kind of movements when working out.

Thanks,

Replies

• rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Be very careful - listen to your body- I had a similar thing that I ignored and kept training - 28 months and a surgery later I'm still not right! Get it checked out
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    See a physio therapist, a qualified one should be able to diagnose and work out a treatment, I've found with that kind of injury it won't go away by itself and the longer you leave it, the harder to fix
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You most likely have developed an AC joint overuse injury. Since the shoulder is a complex joint, it is best to go to physical therapy for assessment and treatment. In the meantime, stop doing any exercise that hurts. Not saying that to be facetious--this is likely not something you can "play through". For starters, that means no bench press, no dips, no upright rows, no overhead lifts. And no front squats. While waiting on your physio appointment, you can try doing some Pec rolling and stretching, as well as look for videos by Tony Gentilcore, Eric Cressey, and Mike Reinhold on scapular stabilization.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Upright rows have been known to lead to shoulder impingement. If so RICE and anti-inflammatory meds is best. Of course you should see a doctor as no one on the Internet can diagnose you blah blah blah...