How to Tell Boss I Intend of Applying to another Job

Options
MarissaAkers
MarissaAkers Posts: 19 Member
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would happen to offer advice as to how to tell my current boss that I want to apply to another position. I was intending to let the woman who has been training me for a position that is considered a promotion, but I was going to let her know today that I am going to put in an application elsewhere. I don't want her to have to waste time training me if I don't plan on staying in my current job. I also want to change fields, from nutrition to teaching, and how I want to go back to school to get a teaching certificate and work as a substitute teacher while pursuing the certification. However, the woman training me is not here, my boss is covering for her today. So I want to talk to my boss about this today, but I'm so nervous to do so, and I can't think of a proper way to start the conversation. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Replies

• MarissaAkers
    Options
    I'd like to be upfront with her though, and I would like to have her as a reference and not catch her by surprise if she gets a phone call.
  • dale050467
    dale050467 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't.

This.
  • MarissaAkers
    Options
    Could you tell me why I shouldn't? I'd just like to have your reasoning.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Depends on your boss. But you could get fired for saying you are looking for another job. That's the big risk.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'd like to be upfront with her though, and I would like to have her as a reference and not catch her by surprise if she gets a phone call.

You still don't do this.. While you may really like your boss or hiring manager, business and making money is their #1 priority, the last thing they want is for you to linger around the office looking for another job and not being productive. And while you say you will be model employee and not do this, they have experiences with others that have. Nothing personal it just business.

eta: find your new job on your own time, keep it to yourself and then turn in a notice and plan to stay through your notice.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    First get an interview. If the interviewer says he or she will call your references then tell your boss. Don't say anything until that time.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You don't tell her until you have been offered the job. If you tell her and don't get the job, she will assume you are going to still be looking elsewhere.

• MarissaAkers
    Options
    Those are all good and valid points. My struggle is that I am applying for a substitute position, and of course school is coming to an end. Perhaps I'll just wait until late July to apply for that position.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone would happen to offer advice as to how to tell my current boss that I want to apply to another position. I was intending to let the woman who has been training me for a position that is considered a promotion, but I was going to let her know today that I am going to put in an application elsewhere. I don't want her to have to waste time training me if I don't plan on staying in my current job. I also want to change fields, from nutrition to teaching, and how I want to go back to school to get a teaching certificate and work as a substitute teacher while pursuing the certification. However, the woman training me is not here, my boss is covering for her today. So I want to talk to my boss about this today, but I'm so nervous to do so, and I can't think of a proper way to start the conversation. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

You don't tell her? Anytime I ever switched jobs in the past I never told my current employer. They would find out if they got a call for a reference. :) Just being honest but if they decided they needed to fire you or lay you off - you wouldn't get any notice and would be told that day most likely. Also, if you tell them and then end up not getting another job real soon they may start looking for your replacement and then you may be out of a job at some point.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Those are all good and valid points. My struggle is that I am applying for a substitute position, and of course school is coming to an end. Perhaps I'll just wait until late July to apply for that position.

You can still apply for that job.. If you get an interview and they mention references you can tell them to not call your current employer and they usually will comply. Never wait opportunities are always around the corner and if this one is a good one, explore it, just keep it under wraps so that your current one does not get wind of it.

Good luck!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

If you wait it, might be someone else's job by; then!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have never told an employer that I was looking for another job elsewhere. When I wanted to leave the accounting firm I worked for, I applied at many places that I was highly qualified for but it took about 6 months to actually land a job offering. When I decided to take the job, I turned in a letter of resignation and gave them my 2 weeks notice.

That is how it's done and how business works. The partners at the firm were understanding and we are all still in good standing. One of them works for another firm now and I just hired them to be our financial statement auditors.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I also would not tell your current employer you are applying for other jobs. You may not get another job for awhile and it could cause you problems/awkwardness at your current job.
    When you have a job offer then you give notice.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Probably a good idea. If you work in at will work work state, your boss can let you go without reason. Its better to keep some things to yourself.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Communication is only effective if it is open, honest, and traveling in both directions.

Speaking from experience I have informed in advance and I have gone job seeking privately - the variable being my relationship and the level of trust I had built with my boss.

If you are having periodic one to ones and discussing your growth in these meetings your future plans should have already been discussed. If you haven't been having these discussions with your boss....then set these up with your boss. 30 mins every other week to start and see where this leads you.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Don't.

If your skill set is not highly specialized, you have no leverage. If your skill set is highly specialized, you might be able to play Stick-em-up and get a pay raise to just not look. I did that once. But, if you intend to leave, just leave and don't make a lot of drama about it.

this.

100% this.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    If you're applying for a different job within the same company, yes tell your boss.

If you're applying elsewhere, don't.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Typically you should not say anything until you have another job.
    Most of the time if it is the same company human resources would be contacting your supervisor for reference anyway. However if you are looking outside your company, keep that to yourself. If you do not get it you could end up being treated differently or passed over for promotion because they will have an idea that you are seeking employment elsewhere.