Gym Newbie! HALP!!!

Options
So, I used to be very active on this site, and due to a family crisis, and the inevitable depression afterwards, I gained back all the weight I had lost before (which really wasn't a WHOLE lot, thank goodness). So, for my birthday, I asked my hubby for a gym membership. I got one, yay, but went for the first time last night. After 30 mins on the bike, I wandered around like an idiot, not knowing what to do next or even how to use the machines. I realized, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING!! It is so intimidating, seeing everyone else going about their routine, and feeling like everyone is watching/judging you (I know better, but it still plays in the back of my mind).
I tried looking up workout plans online, but they're all for weight training and muscle toning at home. I am beyond frustrated, and feel like I just want to give up because I am so overwhelmed. Does anyone have any advice? I would greatly appreciate any tips you may have! Thank you so much in advance!! :blush:

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I assume you want to lift weights?

Stronglifts 5X5 is a good, simple starter program. Only five lifts to learn. There is an app you can download that will track your weights/progress at the gym. Check it out at stronglifts.com.

This thread has all kinds of strength programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If you are interested in weight training, check out the link above, which many choices of different programs, depending on your goals.

ETA: too slow, lol. Sorry for double link post.
  • angela15517
    angela15517 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Would that be the best thing to do? I have to be honest, I have about 100 lbs to lose, and a WHOLE lot of fat to burn arounf my whole body. Really, the only things that are thin on me is my calves and my forearms lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Would that be the best thing to do? I have to be honest, I have about 100 lbs to lose, and a WHOLE lot of fat to burn arounf my whole body. Really, the only things that are thin on me is my calves and my forearms lol

Weight lifting is always helpful. Stronglifts is 3 days per week, so you could do cardio 3 other days, and have one rest day per week.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I also recommend doing a mix of cardio and weight training- I have found a good amount of success (so far!) with incorporating both into my regular routine.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer a free induction where they will show you around and how to use the machines and usually suggest a beginners programme. Ask the staff, they are usually happy to help (just be wary of anyone who offers you their services as a personal trainer but wants you to sign up for a big block of sessions first). You have made the hardest step by walking through the door. Good luck.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would ask for one of the trainers or staff members to show you the ropes, I think they are supposed to do that anyway for new members? Ask them to give you an idea of basic routines for the machines, then when you have some more confidence tackle the weights! :-)