Has anyone lost 2lbs weekly and kept it off?

Options
Spiyce
Spiyce Posts: 33 Member
If so, what did you do? Did you exercise? Just lower calories? Both?

I'm particularly curious is 2lbs weekly is feasible.

Replies

• PrincessKateFan
    PrincessKateFan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have weeks where I lose 2 lbs, weeks where I lose 1 or 1.5 lbs, them there's weeks where I can't lose jack no matter what I do. I work out everyday and eat below 1200 calories a day. It's feasible but don't get discouraged on those off weeks like I used to.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For me I lost 2+ per week very consistently when I started losing weight at 256lbs. As the year has worn on, it's no longer healthy to lose weight at that rate, so I am for .5-1lb per week for the last 25lbs I have to lose. That also has been more consistent, although I have had to fiddle with my calories to see where that all truly nets out. Ultimately at this point, as long as I'm still losing, I'm still succeeding.

Whether 2lbs is feasible for you has more to do with your current stats and your goal than anything else.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    I have weeks where I lose 2 lbs, weeks where I lose 1 or 1.5 lbs, them there's weeks where I can't lose jack no matter what I do. I work out everyday and eat below 1200 calories a day. It's feasible but don't get discouraged on those off weeks like I used to.

I'm sure no matter what age you are, you are never supposed to eat less than 1200 calories. Ever.
    That's how eating disorders happen.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Spiyce wrote: »

Weekly weight loss goals aren't 1 size fits all. Larger people can lose faster, and people closer to goal lose slower. 1/2 pound a week is good progress when you are within 10 pounds of goal.

A 2 pound a week goal is a calorie deficit of 1,000 calories every single day. Does your current TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)....aka maintenance support a 1,000 calorie a day deficit? Your intake should provide you with adequate nutrition, and your deficit should not be so large that your body can't still support existing lean muscle mass. Moderate paced weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is largely dependent on how much you have to lose as this determines the rate of loss. I had ~60 pounds to lose and initially saw ~2 lb/week loss for the first month or two. The rate decreased as I had less body fat to lose. Now that I have ~18% bodyfat I'm losing at ~.5 lbs/week.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Weekly weight loss goals aren't 1 size fits all. Larger people can lose faster, and people closer to goal lose slower. 1/2 pound a week is good progress when you are within 10 pounds of goal.

A 2 pound a week goal is a calorie deficit of 1,000 calories every single day. Does your current TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)....aka maintenance support a 1,000 calorie a day deficit? Your intake should provide you with adequate nutrition, and your deficit should not be so large that your body can't still support existing lean muscle mass. Moderate paced weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.

I see where you're getting at! Checking TDEE.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is largely dependent on how much you have to lose as this determines the rate of loss. I had ~60 pounds to lose and initially saw ~2 lb/week loss for the first month or two. The rate decreased as I had less body fat to lose. Now that I have ~18% bodyfat I'm losing at ~.5 lbs/week.
    I've got 70+ to lose.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I did when I was 240. It slows as you become lighter... enjoy!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 115lbs, on average 2lbs per week in the last 18 months but I started at a rather high weight. Since dropping down, it has very much slowed down, and I have reset my goals to reflect 1 lb per week losses now. Some people say (my doctor) that I can ease up now and maintain, but I would like to lose maybe 10 or 15 more lbs basically just to see if I can do it!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've got 70+ to lose.

You certainly can - this all depends on what you put into this, but you'll be more successful in this long term thinking in terms of replacing bad habits with good ones. Don't compare your rate of loss to others - far too many variables at play between two people. Comparison is the thief of joy.

As a helpful exercise write down 5 habits that you currently want to change. Prioritize these from 1-5. Cross off items 2-5. Work on replacing the one bad habit with one good habit. Once this becomes part of your life then repeat the exercise.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Deficits of up to 20% of actual TDEE. Up to 25% while obesse. Aiming to lose up to 0.5% to 1% bodyweight per week. 1.5% while morbidly obese would not be a disaster though it could be debated whether 1% would be better.

Theoretical maximums matter less than compliance. Balance loss rate to giving up and reconcile with a slower rate if it means that you can keep going.

Most people are able to go faster in the beginning and things catch up after a while. Don't be afraid to tweak, adjust, and reconsider.

This is a journey of discovery, not a fire and forget where you program -70lbs and things happen automatically.

The next year or two have to serve as your training and experimentation time on the life changes you will be making moving forward.

Cause some changes will have to take place to maintain a future you that is 70lbs less than you are today.