New to MFP, vegetarian, getting my busy middle-life back on track!

Hi!

I'm an RN in Montana, back in school to get my master's degree and possibly doctorate after that. I am a caretaker for my mom, and a new grandma!

I've been a vegetarian/sometimes vegan for about 15 years.

There are many factors over the last 1-2 years that have brought to a point my need to choose better health.

My first grandbaby was born 6 months ago and I want, over the coming years, to teach her how to kayak, ski and hike in the backcountry. I live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and I want to be able to fully enjoy it for decades to come. This requires a strong, healthy body.

Last year a dear friend that I went to school with since kindergarten passed away from heart failure as a direct consequence of her weight, eating habits and lack of physical activity.

This event hit me like an earthquake, and brought into sharp relief the need to halt the path I was on; with a lifestyle that was becoming increasingly sedentary, with reduced strength and increasing weight.

I would love to make some friends on MFP to share tips, inspiration, recipes and encouragement.

Nice to meet you all :)

Replies

• DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    Hi! I'm newly vegan and live in Hawaii, but have family in Cody, Wyoming. Love Montana too! I'm getting back to endurance sports and a healthy weight after 2 years of injuries, surgeries, and stress from job transitions. I'm currently working for a company I love and training for my first marathon in October.

Let's connect! I know it's a little more difficult to be vegetarian/vegan in beef country. I always have a harder time flying under the radar when I'm visiting there.

Aloha!
  • CitiZoo
    CitiZoo Posts: 24 Member
    Welcome aboard.
    Been here for a while myself, but I am just getting started on the veg/vegan lifestyle. I went total veg for about 2 years perhaps 10 years ago, but began to miss fish and turkey. Of course then chicken came back and eventually​ pork, but never beef.
    I was recently diagnosed with a form of inflammatory arthritis and have been researching the starch solution. So in an attempt to avoid long term mantiance drugs that have some horrible side affects, I am heading toward the veg lifestyle again.

Best of luck, and feel free to friend me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian who cooks mainly vegan but eats eggs and dairy. I'm working my way through the 1,000 Vegan Recipes cookbook in order, currently in the bean main dishes. It's been a few years.

I've been here about 6 1/2 months after I was diagnosed with refluxed veins (which caused lymphedema) due in part to my body having to carry more of me than it was designed to.

Friend me if you like!
  • NurseWandaMT
    NurseWandaMT Posts: 11 Member
    It's nice to meet everyone :) I'm still figuring MFP out - but it's been so helpful and it's nice connecting to others going through similar challenges.