Slow cooker recipes

scarletspy
scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
I've started using my slow cooker most days of the week. I realised that if I don't then I'm more likely to eat badly or order takeaway because I can't be bothered cooking from scratch after being out all day. It's much easy to just put everything in the slow cooker and forget about it lol.

I had a look on Pinterest for some recipes but they all seem to be full of butter/cheese etc. I want to use the slow cooker but and stay healthy at the same time.

So far I've been making sausage casserole, roast beef, beef stew, meatball marinara and chicken rice soup but I want some more variety.

What are the recipe you cook in the slow cooker? I tend to avoid food with kidney beans or a lot of cheese but apart from that I'll give anything a try.

Replies

• jawjaws39
    jawjaws39 Posts: 4 Member
    yumm!!! where are those recipes!? :)
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Don't add butter to recipes! Use olive oil instead! I loving making really healthy beef stew and the only fat I use it come from the meat. I do buy lean beef chunks. I add a glass of with to the stew and it taste delicious. I also and a bunch of rosemary and thyme ( a make like bouquet) and add that in top of the stew. When it is done I toss that out!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    I use those dry packets of flavoring you find in the asian section, I like the teriyaki, I coat chicken pieces (I use drumsticks or thighs) & don't add any liquid. It's real good. I also cooked turkey parts in there. salt/pepper & just a little chicken broth, it even came out looking roasted
  • scarletspy
    Thanks for the tips!

@jawjaws39 the sausage casserole is made using a slow cooker packet mix from the supermarket, the roast beef is just 1.3k silverside of beef, a cup of broth, a 1/2C balsamic vinegar, 1T worchestershire sauce, 2T soy sauce, 1T brown sugar, an onion and a few sliced carrots or whatever veg you want to add in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low.

The meatball marinara uses lean meatballs from the supermarket and then 3 tins of chopped tomatoes and a tbsp of dried basil. I was supposed to cook it for about 8 hours but I forgot about it and it was on for 10 - tasted great though!

The chicken rice soup: 3-4 chicken breasts halved (defrosted only!), 2 celery stalks (minced), a couple of carrots (minced), 1 tsp dried thyme, 1tsp dried mixed herbs, 1litre vegetable/chicken stock, 3/4C brown rice and about 5g of very lazy garlic all thrown into the slow cooker for 4 hours on high. I don't actually eat this one - it's for my nana.

For each recipe I get about 6 servings.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Search Pinterest for creamy white chicken chili. It's amazing!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Search this site for other slow cooker/crock pot recipes - lots of great ideas here from other users.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    One of my favorite cookbooks is the Indian Slow Cooker by Anupy Singla. Great authentic Indian dishes, all out of the slow cooker. She also got me started in cooking dried beans in the slow cooker, too.
  • gwyn48
    gwyn48 Posts: 23 Member
    The big advantage to a slow cooker is you really don't need to add butter.
    There is a lot of debate out there about cooking raw meats in a slow cooker, but I do it often. I always test the temp of the meat using a thermometer to make sure it is high enough.

My favorite is taking Boneless, skinless chicken breast and placing them in the slow cooker. Nothing else is added. I then put the cover on and heat on low overnight. I make sure the inside temp of the chicken is at least 160 deg. I then just shred the chicken and mix with different sauces.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    pork loin with any kind of season packet, throw in some veggies
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Pepper Steak, thin sirloin steak, sliced onion and pepper, one small can low salt tomato sauce, 1 tsp worcheshire sauce, 1 tbsp each brown sugar and brown gravy mix, as many shakes of hot sauce as you like. Mix items for the sauce in the crockpot, add onions and peppers (also us as many as you like), and then add frozen thin sliced sirloin or whatever cut you prefer. I use frozen as I can cut thinner slices. Cook on low 8 hours, 4-6 on high.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    RenaPink11 wrote: »
    pork loin with any kind of season packet, throw in some veggies

How long do you leave yours? I ruined two pork loins this winter :( would like to try again!
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I haven't looked at any of the posts above but I cook lots of chicken - shred it and for different takes....

buffalo sauce and a packet of ranch seasoning
    taco seasoning (tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, black beans)
    fajita seasoning (peppers, onions)
    stir fry sauce (with your favorite veggies)
    italian dressing

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    I make this all the time...we love it. Use it like chili...

Calcetines de Gallo (Socks On A Rooster) Crock Pot

2 red bell peppers cut in strips
    2 yellow bell peppers cut in strips
    2 medium yellow onions cut in strips
    5 cloves garlic minced
    3.9 lbs pasture-raised chicken breast cut in chunks
    2 medium jalapenos chopped
    2 4-oz can Hatch green chilies
    5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
    2 Tbsp ground cumin
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    2 Tbsp dried oregano
    1 Tbsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp alderwood smoked salt, optional (or use 3 tsp kosher salt)
    2 tsp ground black pepper
    1191 g crushed tomatoes (2 cans)
    10.6 oz organic tomato paste (2 cans)

Combine all ingredients in the crock pot and set on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with black and/or Spanish olives, chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheddar or jack...or any combination thereof. Remove clothing. Eat with a good amber ale and a friend.

• delonate55
    delonate55 Posts: 2 Member
    I like to make chicken breast in the slow cooker. All you have to do is put your chicken in the slow cooker and add a jar of salsa. Once it's done I usually shred the chicken with a fork. Sometimes you can also add a pack of taco seasoning to it, gives it a good flavor. The shredded chicken can be used in tacos, or sandwiches, or sometimes I put in my salad, or you can just eat it as is with a fork, it's all good.
  • scarletspy
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be giving these a try over the next few weeks ;)