I hate vegetables...

Options
emilycervellino
emilycervellino Posts: 19 Member
I am looking for some recipes that are relatively easy to make. My issue is that I absolutely hate vegetables. I need something that can mask the natural taste of vegetables but still provide nutrients. I refuse to just "suck it up" and eat veggies as is- life is too short to eat a meal you hate even if you are trying to be healthier
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How have you eaten vegetables? Preparation can make a huge difference - being boiled or steamed to death is generally vile, and I'd avoid them like that too! You can't hate all vegetables, that's a childish statement imo, as they all have different tastes and textures. It's like saying "I hate all people".

Roasting is amazing for most things, and I like stir frying to keep things crunchy. Many vegies are nice raw in salads, with a delicious dressing. Covering things with sauce and cheese may make them more palatable for you. Hiding vegies in foods can also help - we make tomatoey meat sauce for pasta, but add finely chopped mushrooms, zucchini, Red pepper, onion. It ends up more vegie than meat.
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate your input. When I said I hate all veggies I meant I have yet to find a vegetable that I like in its natural state either raw or cooked as a side dish. I can typically shred up some and hide it in sauces. But I was hopeful someone might have a recipe of something that maybe changed heir mind entirely about a specific vegetable or such. Thank you so much!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate your input. When I said I hate all veggies I meant I have yet to find a vegetable that I like in its natural state either raw or cooked as a side dish. I can typically shred up some and hide it in sauces. But I was hopeful someone might have a recipe of something that maybe changed heir mind entirely about a specific vegetable or such. Thank you so much!

I love vegetables, as a general statement. But I hated brussel sprouts until a couple of years ago - growing up, my mum also hated them, but made them for my dad when we had roasts. They were boiled. Soft and mushy. No salt, no oil. Horrid.

I now love brussel sprouts. Roasted with some olive oil, or pan fried. Sea salt sprinkled on top. Some bacon incorporated.
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus baked with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, and Parmesan. Some people boil the crap out of asparagus and it's a mushy gross mess, but baked is so much better. Or have you ever tried mashed cauliflower? I've also made zucchini chips - slice them thin, add a sprinkling of parm to the top, and bake.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    do you like any vegetable?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love or 101cookbooks.com are good to explore for ideas. Any farmer's market or seasonal cookbook with photos can be seductive.

Have you tried using vegetables as part of a dish vs. just as a side dish. Not hidden, but with other flavors? If you like Indian cooking, there's an example. Or more simply, do pasta with a simple sauce made from some shrimp sauteed in olive oil with some asparagus and mushrooms and pinenuts and then add a bit at the cheese after mixing it with the pasta. Make a meat sauce and add some zucchini in with it. You can easily hide veg in a lasagne, of course. Do a stir fry with some broccoli and carrots and onions and mushrooms plus some chicken or beef and add to a little rice. Add a little soy sauce (or sriracha) or something like Japanese 7 spice which is amazing. Make a stew and include some carrots and add in spinach at the end. Stuff like that.

Roasting is easy and delicious, as others have said, and as already mentioned brussels sprouts sauteed or roasted with bacon is a often gateway drug to veg love.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious she use pureed veggies in dishes so she can get people to eat their veggies. I think one of the more popular recipes is a mac and cheese dish.

Finely chopped mushrooms work great in ground beef dishes. Hide them in your burgers, meatloaf and chili.

Sliced zucchini can be put in lasagna for half of the noodles.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Do you like egg rolls? Try this inside out egg rolls. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html
  • dklibert
    Options
    Maybe Cauliflower pizza crust? There are tons of recipes out there for that.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Soup and chili are fantastic! Make some turkey chili grab a bag of frozen vegetables and pound it with a mallet or whatever to break the veg down into small pieces and simmer in the chilli for the last 45 min. My mother makes the exact same thing but leaves the veg in big pieces and I don't like it.. .I like the veg chopped, or in my case smashed very small. Same goes for salads. I hate a salad with big pieces of tomato or peppers in it but I love the salads served in the Levant or parts of North Africa because the veggies are all cut very tiny so you never have ti eat just a tomato or just a pepper....all the flavors blend. I make tabouleh but instead of bulgur I put some quinoa. Delicious.

Also keep exposing yourself to veg. Eat a bite at every opportunity you get but don't force yourself to choke down an entire plate...continued exposure over time will help make them mire palatable.
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    do you like any vegetable?

I have yet to find a single one I like, cooked or uncooked.
  • emilycervellino
    Options

I love vegetables, as a general statement. But I hated brussel sprouts until a couple of years ago - growing up, my mum also hated them, but made them for my dad when we had roasts. They were boiled. Soft and mushy. No salt, no oil. Horrid.

I now love brussel sprouts. Roasted with some olive oil, or pan fried. Sea salt sprinkled on top. Some bacon incorporated.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will give it a try!
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    bapity88 wrote: »
    I love asparagus baked with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, and Parmesan. Some people boil the crap out of asparagus and it's a mushy gross mess, but baked is so much better. Or have you ever tried mashed cauliflower? I've also made zucchini chips - slice them thin, add a sprinkling of parm to the top, and bake.

I have not tried mashed cauliflower. My family loves asparagus so I will have to try it that way.
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love or 101cookbooks.com are good to explore for ideas. Any farmer's market or seasonal cookbook with photos can be seductive.

Have you tried using vegetables as part of a dish vs. just as a side dish. Not hidden, but with other flavors? If you like Indian cooking, there's an example. Or more simply, do pasta with a simple sauce made from some shrimp sauteed in olive oil with some asparagus and mushrooms and pinenuts and then add a bit at the cheese after mixing it with the pasta. Make a meat sauce and add some zucchini in with it. You can easily hide veg in a lasagne, of course. Do a stir fry with some broccoli and carrots and onions and mushrooms plus some chicken or beef and add to a little rice. Add a little soy sauce (or sriracha) or something like Japanese 7 spice which is amazing. Make a stew and include some carrots and add in spinach at the end. Stuff like that.

Roasting is easy and delicious, as others have said, and as already mentioned brussels sprouts sauteed or roasted with bacon is a often gateway drug to veg love.

Wow very helpful! Great recommendations- exactly what I was looking for!!! I will repost when I try some
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    Soup and chili are fantastic! Make some turkey chili grab a bag of frozen vegetables and pound it with a mallet or whatever to break the veg down into small pieces and simmer in the chilli for the last 45 min. My mother makes the exact same thing but leaves the veg in big pieces and I don't like it.. .I like the veg chopped, or in my case smashed very small. Same goes for salads. I hate a salad with big pieces of tomato or peppers in it but I love the salads served in the Levant or parts of North Africa because the veggies are all cut very tiny so you never have ti eat just a tomato or just a pepper....all the flavors blend. I make tabouleh but instead of bulgur I put some quinoa. Delicious.

Also keep exposing yourself to veg. Eat a bite at every opportunity you get but don't force yourself to choke down an entire plate...continued exposure over time will help make them mire palatable.

I never thought to smash down the vegetables in soup or chili (usually I just pick around them) but that is a fantastic idea!!! Thank you for all that input!!!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Creamed spinach - even my vegetable-hating teenager hates this less.

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a bag of fresh baby spinach. Poke the spinach under the surface of the water. When the water returns to a boil (takes a few seconds), pour everything into a strainer and rinse with cold water. With your hands and paper towels, squeeze every scrap of water out. Chop very finely, and squeeze with paper towels again. Set aside.

Heat together equal volumes of flour and butter or olive oil until bubbling. Whisk in whole milk, 1/2 cup per tablespoon of flour, and continue whisking over heat until thick. Season very heavily with salt, pepper, garlic powder, maybe a little onion powder. You're basically making a very thick flavorful white sauce.

Stir chopped spinach into sauce, and add good-quality parmesan.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Baked eggplant parmesan is really good, and low calorie.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe (at my family's request) a few minutes ago. Try it. Trust me, you'll thank me. It's called a soup, but I make it thicker as a veggie side dish. I use one carton of stock when cooking. When pureeing, sometimes I need to add a little water, sometimes I don't. I use skim milk instead of almond milk. People who say they hate cauliflower love this. People who say they hate sweet potatoes love this. A lot of times people think they hate vegetables because of the taste, but it's actually a texture issue. This purée (or some people call it a mash) would be an excellent first step for you. I have to hide the leftovers from my kids if I want any.

https://www.kimscravings.com/roasted-cauliflower-sweet-potato-soup/
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    OH! Creamed cauliflower! We ate that all the time growing up. It's basically cooked cauliflower in a white sauce. Season highly with salt and pepper.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    BREAD CRUMB TOPPING FOR VEGETABLES
    1/3 c. finely chopped onion
    1/2 tsp. firmly minced garlic
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 c. bread crumbs
    Saute onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs. Saute 2 minutes longer. Serve on cooked vegetables. Yield: 1 cup.