I hate vegetables...

Options

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that you are not alone. :)
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm another (except for potatoes...I could live on potatoes). Can't help you with recipes...I just make my meals without veges.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,371 Member
    Options
    I like veggies but when I put some in my fruit smoothie I can't taste it, as long as I don't put too much
  • PauletteMotzko
    PauletteMotzko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try stir fries of all kinds and get a Chinese cook book, just use low sodium soy sauce. I guarantee, if you have a good wok, and some Asian condiments, you'll be cooking up veggies in a myriad of flavorful ways.
    Check my cooking site for ideas too.

Polly Motzko
    Http://www.CookingUpaStormWithMissPolly.com
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Vegetable slice, chop 600g veggies very finely in food processor, strain or squeeze handfuls to remove excess juice, add 60g quick oats, 60g grated cheese, 6 eggs, seasoning to taste, bake 45 minutes at 180 Celsius, as long as you use mixed veggies it doesn't taste like any particular one. Makes 4 servings at approx 340 cal
  • websterc1
    websterc1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine is a to defrost a couple of cups of frozen veg (peas, corn and capsicum work well) a cup flour, a cup milk and some taco mix. Make a batter, fry and voila! mexican patties. They are my absolute most favourite healthy/non healthy food. Heaps of sodium though I suppose, can't imagine Taco mix is very good for you...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP you're not alone, and I can't stomach the idea of another bag of frozen veggies, lol. But there are ways to make them tastier.

You could try these http://www.skinnytaste.com/spicy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites/
    I 'hide' onions in meatloaf and peas/carrots in shepherd pie too.
    I LOVE veggie soup as long as it's blended - just tastes so much better to me than without chunks.
    I love mashed carrots and potatoes and mashed cauliflower and potatoes too.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Creamy Potato Soup

2-3 Russet Potatoes, cubed
    2 Stalks of Celery, diced
    1 Onion, finely diced
    1-2 Carrots, diced
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    1 bag frozen cauliflower or a small head of cauliflower
    2 teaspoons or butter or olive oil
    Chicken or vegetable broth (enough to just cover the vegetables)
    1/2 C Whole milk
    A splash of hot sauce or cayenne and salt and pepper to taste
    Shredded Cheese (reduced-fat cheddar, Parmesan, Gruyere - whatever you like)

1. Saute Onion, Carrot, Celery & Garlic in butter.
    2. Add potatoes and cauliflower, simmer in broth for about 30 minutes
    3. Blend tender vegetables (I like to use an immersion blender) until smooth, adding milk while you blend (you can use more milk or half and half if you want it to be creamier)
    4. Add cheese of choice and stir until melted and combined.

Top with any garnishes you like - more cheese, bacon or ham, chives or green onion, sour cream

Other Ideas:

I add cauliflower, onion, or greens (spinach, sauteed cabbage or kale) to mashed potatoes all the time. Potatoes seem to be a good way to get more veggies in.

Tacos or sloppy joes: add very finely diced mushrooms, onions, peppers (I prefer poblano or jalapeno - I notice the taste of bell peppers) to the meat mixture

Add grated onion, mushroom, shredded carrot, and spinach to turkey, beef, or chicken burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. (keeps them moist/juicy if the fat content is low)

Add pureed cauliflower or squash to macaroni and cheese

Curry and stir-fry: adding a yummy sauce to a protein and vegetable you can tolerate can seriously mask the taste. Add chickpeas, spinach, or cauliflower to chicken tikka masala, add broccoli to General Tso's Chicken, etc.

Cheese on vegetables is delicious. Also, grilling or roasting with herbs and spices can make them much tastier!
  • emilycervellino
    emilycervellino Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Creamy Potato Soup

2-3 Russet Potatoes, cubed
    2 Stalks of Celery, diced
    1 Onion, finely diced
    1-2 Carrots, diced
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    1 bag frozen cauliflower or a small head of cauliflower
    2 teaspoons or butter or olive oil
    Chicken or vegetable broth (enough to just cover the vegetables)
    1/2 C Whole milk
    A splash of hot sauce or cayenne and salt and pepper to taste
    Shredded Cheese (reduced-fat cheddar, Parmesan, Gruyere - whatever you like)

1. Saute Onion, Carrot, Celery & Garlic in butter.
    2. Add potatoes and cauliflower, simmer in broth for about 30 minutes
    3. Blend tender vegetables (I like to use an immersion blender) until smooth, adding milk while you blend (you can use more milk or half and half if you want it to be creamier)
    4. Add cheese of choice and stir until melted and combined.

Top with any garnishes you like - more cheese, bacon or ham, chives or green onion, sour cream

Other Ideas:

I add cauliflower, onion, or greens (spinach, sauteed cabbage or kale) to mashed potatoes all the time. Potatoes seem to be a good way to get more veggies in.

Tacos or sloppy joes: add very finely diced mushrooms, onions, peppers (I prefer poblano or jalapeno - I notice the taste of bell peppers) to the meat mixture

Add grated onion, mushroom, shredded carrot, and spinach to turkey, beef, or chicken burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. (keeps them moist/juicy if the fat content is low)

Add pureed cauliflower or squash to macaroni and cheese

Curry and stir-fry: adding a yummy sauce to a protein and vegetable you can tolerate can seriously mask the taste. Add chickpeas, spinach, or cauliflower to chicken tikka masala, add broccoli to General Tso's Chicken, etc.

Cheese on vegetables is delicious. Also, grilling or roasting with herbs and spices can make them much tastier!

Thank you so much. That sounds delicious!!!!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
  • NewYearNewMe140
    NewYearNewMe140 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives and it completely changed my view on vegetables and now I actually crave them!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    BREAD CRUMB TOPPING FOR VEGETABLES
    1/3 c. finely chopped onion
    1/2 tsp. firmly minced garlic
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 c. bread crumbs
    Saute onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs. Saute 2 minutes longer. Serve on cooked vegetables. Yield: 1 cup.

You forgot the parmesan ;P
  • jesslynn483
    jesslynn483 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hide it in sauces or creamy soups!

Asparagus is good with mushroom soup or some sort of cheese sauce (whichever you please, can be hollandaise sauce, melted shredded cheese, melted cheese whiz or cream cheese)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I feel like a bad vegetarian for saying this, but you don't actually have to eat vegetables if you don't want to.

Having said that, my go-to vegetable prep is roasting. I roast every vegetable that can tolerate the heat of being roasted. Roasting broccoli was an eye-opening experience for me, and I'm not exaggerating.

Is it only green vegetables that you dislike? There are a lot of other options: eggplant, zucchini/squash, sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, etc.
  • emilycervellino
    emilycervellino Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I feel like a bad vegetarian for saying this, but you don't actually have to eat vegetables if you don't want to.

Having said that, my go-to vegetable prep is roasting. I roast every vegetable that can tolerate the heat of being roasted. Roasting broccoli was an eye-opening experience for me, and I'm not exaggerating.

Is it only green vegetables that you dislike? There are a lot of other options: eggplant, zucchini/squash, sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, etc.

I don't like any of those either. I will have to try roasting- a lot of people have recommended it for me.
  • shotime369
    shotime369 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They're expensive for what they are, but my health fryer is the tits for roasting vegetables. It turns everything for you, so all you have to do is peel, chop, and add a spoon of oil or spray-on. Amazing. I've hardly turned my oven on since I bought it.
  • ScaledArtistHair
    ScaledArtistHair Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ahhh! My son is a fresh-fruit-a-holic... but Lord forbid if he goes near a vegetable.
    Often I cold press juice to get those greens in. But following the 80% veg/ 20% rule is rather difficult to maintain sweetness.
    If you decide the juicing route to get your veggies in.... squash & carrots are VERY mild in taste & can be easily masked by a low amount of berries.
    Other ways are start integrating veggies into quinoa with fresh garlic & Olive oil. It can mask a lot. Or making "sweet" salads on a bed of spinach with fresh fruits, carrots, nuts, and seeds.
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are great. I also love to grill them on the BBQ. I get a big bowl. I put in asparagus, red bell pepper (cleaned out and cut in 4 or 6 sections), onions (peeled and sliced in 1/4" slices or rings), zucchini or other squash (sliced 1/4" thick the long way). I drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with black pepper and kosher salt, and add a clove or two of crushed garlic. I toss it all together, and place it on the hot grill. Make sure the asparagus is going the opposite way from the grill grates so it won't fall in! Put the top on, and check the veggies after about 3 minutes. Turn the veggies after they get some good grill marks, and let them cook a little longer. Pull them off, and back in the bowl as they are done cooking. Some will cook faster than others. I love them this way. Good luck!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You could put spinach in a smoothie so you can't taste it