Plantar fasciitis..

Options
2»

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with a Dr for plantar fasciitis, physio therapist or podiatrist are your best bet for treatment. Best stretch is to sit with foot on opposite knee and pull ball of foot towards you.

• rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Rolling with a regular tennis ball is good but I bought one of those spiky massage balls on Amazon and it really gets into the places where the pain is the most and relieves it.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Msjournie wrote: »
    So the weird thing about my foot is when wear sandals (which is all the time) yes my foot hurts but not too bad tolerable.
    I put tennis shoes on and I feel like I'm gonna die of pain.

Actually, it's not weird and may be part of the problem. The plantar faciitis is actually caused by inflammation of the tendons that run across the bottom of your foot (from heel to toe). If your everyday footwear has no arch supports, but your workout shoes have high arch support, you are most likely stressing the tendons farther then they are used to going every time you jump into your tennis shoes and then go for long walks.
    How long will this uncomfortable pain will last.

Truthfully, it depends on what is causing the inflammation and what your willing to change to avoid it, but even mild forms can take months to fully resolve. For some, like me, it's a life long pursuit of managing my issues to prevent flair ups.

If the pain is lasting all day and not resolving itself as you move around, you pretty much just need to rest, ice and OC anti-inflammatory meds for now. Be prepared for it to take a couple of weeks if you have a tear that needs healing. In the meantime, work on things that may have caused the issue in the first place.

Stretching - Don't just concentrate on your calves, stretch the foot as well. This article shows different options with great explanations http://www.athletico.com/2012/05/09/plantar-fasciitis-solutions/

You may also consider a night splint/sleeping boot. These devices will keep the foot flexed through the night to keep the calf muscles, achilles tendon and plantar fascia loose to avoid the irritation of stiffness first thing in the morning.

Reconsider your shoe apparel. For starters, you may consider finding an athletic shoe with a lower arch support. You may also want to consider everyday shoe wear that has better arch supports.

Beyond that, if the issue doesn't show signs of resolving in a couple weeks with rest, Ice and stretching, you'd be best to go see a podiatrist. They can better diagnose what may be causing the plantar faciitis in the first place.

• pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Agree with a previous poster about a slight heel, my podiatrist said totally flat shoes were a no-no. I've also found losing weight has made a huge difference. But other than that it was foot flexing with a resistance band and orthotics that helped. Good luck and hope it passes quickly
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    i had it and went to "the good feet store" got arch supports and got relief instantly...I MEAN INSTANT. I wore them about a year and took them out of shoes and have had not further issues. My brother did the same and 2 colleagues did the same
  • stashia23
    stashia23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What helped me the most was not ever going barefoot, rolling my foot on a softball (daily), wearing the night splint that keeps your foot flexed all night, and icing it for 20 minutes right before bed. Shoes that helped me a lot were Danskos for work, and I FitFlops for sandals, they both have a heel. Good luck, I hope you find relief sooner rather than later!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

So the weird thing about my foot is when wear sandals (which is all the time) yes my foot hurts but not too bad tolerable.
    I put tennis shoes on and I feel like I'm gonna die of pain.

When I had mine it was the same except that my low-heeled boots were all that were comfortable. The boot at night and the stair stretches were probably what helped the most.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    After seven months of doing all the things I had read online, I finally went to the doctor. He fitted me with special insoles and eventually had to get a steroid shot in my foot. It wasn't as bad as people had told me and I haven't had any pain for five months now. He also told me to stay off the treadmill, which likely caused my PF, and to get better fitted walking shoes.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Everything that everyone has said, I have done. Mine flared up again 2 years ago from running in new (but not stability) running shoes. It took 3 shots (1 in November, 2 the following July), a night splint, rolling on a frozen water bottle, rolling on a wooden ball, stretching so your heel goes below a step, and getting rid of all of my unsupportive shoes and sandals, no matter how much I loved them. Oh, and I had to give up running totally for MONTHS. I took up water fitness and lap swimming.

So after two years, I am still wearing a splint at night, rolling on a ball 2x a day, swimming, and doing the heel stretches--all as preventative measures. Mine finally stopped after the second shot in July, but I am SO careful and attentive. I am running 1x a week, and in the pool for the other days.

Be patient. Don't push it. PF needs TIME...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options