Help me Calculate!?

Options
kHanson95
kHanson95 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello there.

I just walked briskly for 36 minutes while carrying my 20-pound son.

I'm trying to calculate an accurate number for how many calories I burned.

MFP doesn't allow me to pick the pace along with a weight, and I'm not sure if combining the two would work (because it would look like I walked for 72 minutes total, wouldn't it? Calorie-wise). Other websites and their calculators aren't helping me.

Can anyone here give me a hand??

I'm a female, 22 years old, 196 pounds, and apparently in need of refresher math course. Lol.

Thank you!

Replies

• joenettey
    joenettey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • joenettey
    joenettey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Combine your weight with your baby to get a rough estimate of calories burned
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a great walk. I would consider the few extra calories burned by carrying your son as "bonus burn" that helps covers any estimating errors &wouldn't log it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Just add 20 lbs to your weight and rerun the walk calculator. Carrying extra weight adds some to your burn but it's not very significant.
  • kHanson95
    kHanson95 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about adding 20 onto my weight... duh. But that's why I asked. Haha! Thanks again :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Better to go by distance rather than time.
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles) is a reasonable estimate.

Let's assume you walked 2 miles.

(196 + 20) 216 x 0.3 x 2 = 129.6 cals

But to be honest that seems more like that should be part of your activity setting rather than purposeful exercise.