Woke up starving

noorandjenna1
noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
edited May 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I ate 1200 calories yesterday because I binged for a few days.
I woke up hungry and lethargic and I have been eating and craving sweets all day, why is this?
Now I want vanilla ice cream, but that will put me over my goal

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    So eat the icecream and be over your goal, or don't eat the icecream... The choice is yours. It's up to you to decide whether you want to achieve your weight loss goals or not. Dieting is going to be accompanied by some sort of hunger....

Perhaps work out what caused you to binge? A certain situation, or restricting calories or foods too much? Make plans to deal with whatever made you binge for days so that it happens less frequently in the future.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    You woke up hungry, lethargic and craving foods all day because you had under eaten the previous day. This would have been compounded if you had exercised the previous day or had a busy/ high active incidental day.

You are creating a cycle that will see you overeating, under eating, more overeating and so on. This often leads feelings of guilt (and for some, sadness).

How many calories are you meant to be eating a day and if exercising, how exercise calories on average?

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    I ate 1200 calories yesterday because I binged for a few days.
    I woke up hungry and lethargic and I have been eating and craving sweets all day, why is this?
    Now I want vanilla ice cream, but that will put me over my goal

What is you macro break down? (% carb, % protein, % fat).

Fat and protein make you feel more full for longer than carbs (especially processed carbs like grains (even whole grains) and sugar).

Your brain most likely equates sweets with both quick energy and comfort.

Get your macros balanced, you will feel more satiated after each meal and less likely to crave through lack of energy. Comfort eating is a different issue. If this is an issue for you need to determine your triggers and form an alternate strategy.

I find a balance more tipped toward fats and protein leaves me less likely to desire sweets and carbs.

By using MFP, you are already becoming more conscious of what you eat (and when). Use this knowledge to tailor your eating to keep closer to budget. (Over occasionally is fine). Make sure your changes are what you can live with permanently, otherwise you end up in a permanent loss/gain cycle.

For me, I found reducing/eliminating between meal snacks (and calories) was the key. Save the appetite for meal time. This way I can eat better meals and I still have plenty of energy between meals.

My macro balance is around (25% carb, 35% protein, 40% fats). Not quite keto, but I never feel wanting for more food after a meal. It is also a balance I can happily live with. (I've also been averaging 2 lbs a week loss for the last 4 weeks, so it's working for me).

Use MFP and the community to help you to tailor your habits for a better you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2017
    OP, what are your stats? Gender, height, current weight and goal weight? What is your usual calorie allotment each day? How much weight have you set as your goal to lose each week?

These answers will help us give you some fine-tuned advice, but generally, I agree with this:
    You woke up hungry, lethargic and craving foods all day because you had under eaten the previous day. This would have been compounded if you had exercised the previous day or had a busy/ high active incidental day.

You are creating a cycle that will see you overeating, under eating, more overeating and so on. This often leads feelings of guilt (and for some, sadness).

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Even though you binged in prior days leading up to your decision to eat 1200 calories, this does not mean that your body still does not need the proper amount of nutrition the follow day.

You woke up hungry and lethargic cause you under ate your bodies needs. The sweet craving, I predict there has been a change in your hormonal levels due to way you have chosen to eat the past however many days you have been in an upswing in calories back down to lowish calories...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Maybe a vanilla protein shake to take the edge off the craving?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Eat what you feel like and stay within your goal for this day. :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Do you want to lose weight? I mean, do you really want to? No one gains weight in a day and so you can't lose it in a day either. It takes a consistent effort over many weeks.

If you are sure your want to lose weight, do this:

- Let MFP calculate your daily calorie requirement with settings "sedentary" and "1 lb per week loss."
    - Understand that 1 lb per week is equivalent to a 500kcal deficit per day
    - Unless you are a waitress, construction worker, or anything where you are moving constantly, then you might bump up to the next level of activity. Pays to be conservative.
    - Learn how to estimate portions accurately using a scale and cup measure
    - Make most of your meals yourself, including lunch and snack.
    - Account for exercise using MFP, but don't eat all the calories back
    - Limit alcohol
    - Do this every day for at least a month before you add in selected days where you can add an additional ~500kcals. (This puts you on maintenance for that day.)

Keep calm, strong, and on program!