Heart Rate Question

yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
Ok, went to spin class today. HR reached 187 (I wear a polar F11). This is beyond my max at 184 (I'm 36). How dangerous is this?

Also I spent the over 50% of the class in the 170s - but with a long warm up (I was there early) and cool down, my average was 153 - now here's the kicker - I burned 500 calories. How the hell do people burn more than this?

Thanks y'all

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Ok, went to spin class today. HR reached 187 (I wear a polar F11). This is beyond my max at 184 (I'm 36). How dangerous is this?

Also I spent the over 50% of the class in the 170s - but with a long warm up (I was there early) and cool down, my average was 153 - now here's the kicker - I burned 500 calories. How the hell do people burn more than this?

Thanks y'all
  • I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you begin to feel dizzy, lightheaded or maybe even chest pain. My target heart rate for Cardio is 134. After I've been at it for 10 minutes I consistently stay around 150-154.

Focus on breathing in through your nose and out your mouth. When you let the air out, try to do it slower than when you breath in. You can actually learn to control your heart rate to some degree.
  • The longer you hold your target HR the more Cals your gonna burn. I think you can hold it at 65% to 70% of your maximum heart rate without passing out.

and don't over heat your body wear something comfortable and light.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    I often go over my max when I run, I have never owned a heart rate monitor and never will, I've been exersicing for years, you learn to know your body and what percentage rate you are working at. Don't worry, just listen to the body.:wink:
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Predicting maximum heart rate is so difficult. So much has to do with what shape your in. Most meters always use the 220 - AGE formula. Not so complicated there huh?

As you do more and more cardio, you will be able to do things longer and harder with a lower heart rate. If your not in good shape, you probably will not want to let it go over 180 to 200. However, if you are training for long distance running, are not in pain or feel fain, I think you should try to push it harder every once in awhile.