Just a bad run?

Options
I jog generally twice a week, 2-4 miles normally, not the fastest but steady and feels OK. I had pneumonia last year and chest has never been quite so good since but I generally only notice during exercise. Wed did 2 miles ( short run as week out with Achilles issue), mile 2 was 9.43 which is fast for me, felt great. Today was awful, air quality is not good and we both commented on it. Started off cold but got very muggy as we went. It never felt comfortable and the last mile I felt I couldn't get a good breath, couldn't clear my chest. I stopped early at 2.8 miles (all over 10 min pace) and just felt dreadful - trying to keep chest up to get some air in but legs wouldn't hold me up. Hubby said I walked up the street like a drunk wobbling all the place. Still feel rough and very cold. Drank plenty last night, quite thirsty. Had my breakfast as usual before run. Food wasn't great yesterday but not terrible and shouldn't expect it to make too much difference for a short run.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It happens sometimes. Every once in a while I'll have a run that makes me question what I am doing out there. Then the next day I have a great run. There are many things that could cause this - maybe you're tired, getting sick, allergies, or maybe it was just 'one of those days'.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    You already know the air quality was bad and it was humid, so I would assume that that was the likely cause. I have had a lot of trouble lately with allergies that make it very hard to breathe. Humidity or wind or heat will also cause me breathing problems.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Air quality bad or different from your last run, electrolyte imbalance, quality of sleep not that great, if your diet was off yesterday as in not your normal training diet, being female as approaching tom (sorry tmi), you mentioned Achilles issues, perhaps you are running in way to protect that injury as well..

Perhaps a perfect storm of everything and just having an off day.. I have crappy runs every once in a while, I nail it down to diet, hydration, not enough rest between runs, and where I am in my cycle, etc etc..
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    chalk it up to a bad run, have a rest day and then head out again and see how you do.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Like you say maybe just a perfect storm. Menopause is doing all kinds of crazy stuff to my body and it was weird enough before! Air quality has a much bigger impact on me these days, and I know my anxiety levels make a big difference too. My legs were totally gone to jelly - very weird and I hadn't even got to enjoy having a drink!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    It happens, I wouldn't overthink it.

Different people react to different things. My husband can run circles around me every day of the week, but if it's humid, forget it. He'll be exhausted and woozy after a mile and a half.