I would like to lose 20 lbs by 8/1

Options
imathena
imathena Posts: 6 Member
Hello, I just want to feel ans look healthy. I probably need to lose more but thats a start. Im 48 years young, im 5 '2 and i weigh 160. Ugh thats a lot of weight.

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    its great that u r ready to face this problem but i m afriad your goal is probably too aggressive for the standard MFP standard calorie counting method, which is around 2lbs a week at the most. in which u r only eating at 1200 calories a day. u can certainly workout like crazy to squeeze another lb off if u can manage not eat back all the calories that u burned.

not everyone can make a 1200 calorie work from day one as it requires u to break a lot of ur bad habits all at once so we usually recommend people to start with trying to lose 1lb a week n MFP will probably give u a daily allowance of 1350 to 1450. do that for a few week before u take the plunge into the 1200 plan. in any case, u need to

1. buy a food scale
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 or 1lbs a week)
    3. take up exercising (try only eat back half of what u think u burned at max)
    4. join an online challenge
    5. ditch any non supportive friends
    6. donate all junk foods
    7. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do)
    8. LOG everything u eat consistently

good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    3RD time today: Set your profile for "sedentary" and 1lb loss per week. Then do everything @beanz744 says, it's a great list.

Why one lb/week? Well, to lose 1 lb a week, you'll have to eat 1071kcals per day (plus some extra for exercise). That will be hard enough!

Be strong and carry on!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    imathena wrote: »
    Hello, I just want to feel ans look healthy. I probably need to lose more but thats a start. Im 48 years young, im 5 '2 and i weigh 160. Ugh thats a lot of weight.

I'm 48 also and I'm 4'11 and started at 150 lbs. I wouldn't expect to lose 20 lbs that quickly but at the same time I have lost 25 lbs in a little under 4 months time (last year) without even trying so it's not IMpossible either.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm eating between 1200-1350 calories for the past 35 days and have lost 22 pounds. But I have about 85 total to lose. I've been losing more than 2 lbs per week consistently without even trying too hard and low impact cardio just 3-4 times per week. So is this not normal ?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    sophie7591 wrote: »
    I'm eating between 1200-1350 calories for the past 35 days and have lost 22 pounds. But I have about 85 total to lose. I've been losing more than 2 lbs per week consistently without even trying too hard and low impact cardio just 3-4 times per week. So is this not normal ?

It's a bit fast. It will probably level out a bit as you continue. No prob so long as you're eating a healthy diet and are reasonably comfortable.

Slow down if you need to. No need to rush!

Be strong.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sophie7591 wrote: »

its normal for in ur case because u have a lot more to lose. u normal daily consumption before was probably 2500 or more but now u r eating 1200-1300 calories less(thats a huge deficit) n exercising so u can lose more than 2lbs a week . For people who weight less, - 2lbs/week is a limit for most because it is not safe to eat less than 1200 a day so their daily deficit is not as great as yours. also, proper exercising n diet can sometimes have a huge unexpected gain that results in 3 or 4lbs weekly loss but like the person above said, your weekly loss would slow down a little when u r down another 20 ibs or so. but who cares for now :p just enjoy the new u!
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • SkyKC253
    SkyKC253 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm about your weight with the same goal. A lot of people have mixed opinions on what's too aggressive but honestly, everyone's different. 2 pounds a week is something I have had success with. A lot of people have. The body can do incredible things when you treat it right. You workout as much as possible and you eat to fuel and not to indulge. So 20 pounds by August isn't impossible. Add me and we can encourage each other. 135 is my goal by Halloween so at least I'm giving myself some wiggle room but I want quick results.. I've always been that way. There's nothing wrong with having a goal. What other people think is their own belief. 140 by the next school year makes sense to me and I like it and I'm ready to do the same!! 12 weeks alone is a period of time many people transform their size. Even if you don't drop 20 pounds, you will absolutely be 2 sizes smaller if you work hard. Working hard... that's the hard part though :(