HELP

Options
My boyfriend's mom came this weekend and made pasta salad, fried chicken, shrimp, devil's food cake cupcakes, 2 sweet potato pies, and a big pan of banana pudding. While it was good to have small servings of it yesterday, she's gone and there's so much food left. These are weakness foods for me and I just want to throw it out or freeze it something... just get rid of it. My boyfriend wants to keep it all. I'm having so many cravings and this week is going to be hard with all this food around. He says "just don't eat it", and he doesn't get how difficult it is to just have it in my environment. I don't know what to do...

Replies

• Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    have enough of your own food that you can eat and then it will be more bearable. if you go into the fridge and see it, you have to stop emotionally reacing to it. look at that food like you do at a bunch of spoons on the shelves. you can look at spoons and not get hungry to eat it. so i mean look at that food in a detatched frame of mind, and then it wont tempt you.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    There is no reason your boyfriend has to suffer or make changes that only concern you. You need to learn to deal with these kind of situations.
    Make a choice, an adult choice - the food or your health and fitness. It's very easy in fact. I have jars of peanut butter and Nutella in my cupboard, quite the icecream variety in the freezer, Snickers bars on the table by me etc. This is because I have a family around me who go on with their normal lives while I'm losing. I don't eat these things (at least not all the time and not too much of them) because I don't want to. I love these foods but I don't want to eat them.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Keep it out of sight. Hide it in a vegetable drawer in the refrigerator and stay out of there. Send some of the food with your boyfriend to work. Invite friends over and have them eat it all up. Plan out your meals, even incorporating some of those special treats into your menu if you want.

Expect that you will have some times where you want to go and eat that food. Plan what you are going to do when that happens. Are you going to go for a walk instead? Telephone a friend and get some support? Give yourself a manicure? Take a bubble bath? You can't eat with wet nails or in the bathtub...well, you can, but you probably won't want to.

My mom can keep all kinds of candy and chips in the house. She just doesn't eat it if she isn't hungry. This is unfathomable to me. I can't keep anything like that around without constantly obsessing about eating it. I'll even stay awake all night thinking about it if there is chocolate in the house. With devil's food cupcakes, I'd probably have to go stay with a friend until they are gone.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bring some round to the neighbors? Invite friends over for a "mama's leftovers" party? Ask him to take them all to work to share with co-workers?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Freeze it in single serving portions.

Losing weight by being a responsible adult is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.

Edited to add: Re-read what you said on your profile page. This is one of those life circumstances you mentioned there. :)
  • aamerine08
    aamerine08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. All good points. This is a mental and emotional battle that I'll have to learn to deal with.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd pack it right up and have him take it to work.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Try to make it harder to reach in the fridge, or out of sight. Place your healthy foods in front of it and ask your boyfriend to deal with the slight inconvenience. You're accomadating him by keeping the food around, I think it's fair for him to move a few things around and then back when he grabs a portion of it. Then when you go to the fridge it's easier for you to just grab an apple and go rather than shift around to grab the leftovers. If you're tempted and start to reach for them then it'll take a little time and you can contemplate if you actually want them.
    I arrange my fridge this way to encourage healthy habits. Then, if I want a treat I feel good when I have it because I thought it through and made a concious choice.

Good luck! Having temptations around sucks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    If this food will last a week, there's too much of it, and it does need to be frozen, given away, shared, etc.

I don't like to see trigger foods so keep them out of sight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Freeze it in single serving portions.

Losing weight by being a responsible adult is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.

Edited to add: Re-read what you said on your profile page. This is one of those life circumstances you mentioned there. :)

This.
    These foods can be eaten during the week. It is a calories game after all.