DRINKING ADVICE- be brutally honest with me

Options
In terms of BMI - I am technically obese yet, I surprisingly have the best discipline when I have decided I want something. For me, to be disciplined I need to have clear cut rules in my head that I deem to be sustainable in the long-term (which is why I gave up my Exante meal replacement diet 2 years ago).

So after that shpeel I need some brutal advice. It is currently exam season at University, which is the point I have always failed in my past weight loss endeavours - but this time, I have been so so good in sticking to my calorie defecit. But end of exam season is in about 3 weeks and I KNOW what it is going to be like...

Lots of meals out (which I can usually handle, I prefer my own low calorie/low carbs home cooked meals anyways) BUT it is the nights out and drinking I am worried about. I want brutal honesty but please don't preach, it's University after all so I want the occasional drunken night with my friends

But what impact will this have on my weight loss? Is there any particular drink that won't ruin all hard work so far? I have ambitious goals to lose a stone by the 1st July, whilst I know I might not achieve this, I want to do everything in my power to set myself up for success. Does this mean no alcohol?

Replies

• angelawrence11
    angelawrence11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A stone by the first of July is pretty ambitious, but it depends on your starting weight. If you are obese, two pounds a week is reasonable. It will only happen if you stick to a thousand calorie deficit every day. Generally, this means no drinking. If you have a day when you know you're drinking, figure out how much you will drink and try to bank calories for it. Work out that day so you have some extra. Plan for it a week in advance and eat a hundred calories under your goal each day, so you can drink the 700 extra. This is all up to you. You can make it happen if you really want to, but I'd advise against it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You can drink but perhaps do your very best to plan ahead and bank at least some calories. I don't know if skipping a few is an option, if not, do what you can to minimise the calorie damage and accept it will briefly slow progress. Also don't let not meeting a goal by a certain date derail you.

As to what to drink, there's another thread round here, maybe go back a few pages, about keeping calories as low as possible.

Clear spirits with diet mixers is probably the best option. A bottle of wine is around 500 calories and there are better choices for beers and ales. I believe Guinness is one of the best. I don't drink often so can't recall counts on beers even though that's often what I drink.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Some people make regular drinking work with weight loss. I'm not one of them. I eat more when I drink, I don't sleep well, and the next day my appetite is up and I crave carbs and lots of them.

On the plus side, now that I no longer drink regularly, on the rare occasions that I do drink, my tolerance is so low that it only takes one or two to make me happy :lol:
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight and still drink on occasion if you plan for it. I've lost 44 lbs in 4.5 months, and I still drink once a week (trivia night lol). And I can easily put back 5-6 tall beers (sorry, it's the truth). I just do an extra workout on that day, have a very light lunch, and have a decent sized, but low calorie, dinner (you don't want to drink on an empty stomach). I'd say I still gain probably .2 lbs on the days I drink, but it's usually gone by next day. Your progress will be slower than if you don't drink at all, but you can still lose as long as it's not too often and you prepare.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You just have to plan ahead and budget for the calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    This is the third thread that is discussed drinking and weight loss this week. And so it is the third time that I will point out that alcohol is calorie-dense with 7kcals per gram. (Sugar and protein have 4kcals per gram and fat has 9.) Also, when present, your body will preferentially metabolize alcohol over other sources, including fat.

From many viewpoints, it pays to limit alcohol. If you go out and drink every single day it is very likely that you will gain weight and also do poorly on your exams.