Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is the reason we have guns.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K last. month and was on pace for a PR. But as the line came into sight about 1/4 mile up the road, my activity tracker only registered that I had run 2 and 1/4 miles. Sure enough when I crossed the line I had only run 2.56 miles.

The problem was when the course was certified the instructions were to set the turn around point at a telephone pole with an "abc" metal sign on it. Only problem was there were two such poles on the road 1/4 miles apart and the race staff sent out to man the turn point picked the wrong (shorter) one. So upon finishing no one got to run the official distance. Quite a few unhappy runners that day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Another thought, thinking the best I can of these unknown women: If they were really inexperienced runners, and running together socially, they may have lost count, run 2 laps, thought they ran 3, and not known enough to realize the 1-2-3 finish was implausible. It *could* happen that way.
    This explanation makes the most sense to me. It appears as though they started and finished together, which is highly unlikely for 3 people running a sub-21 5K. Also, starting 30 seconds back after the gun, they probably would have gotten caught up in traffic, making it difficult to run that pace. Faster runners usually have to start up front to get a time like that in a 5K.
    At any rate, it is a bummer. I don't blame you for feeling cheated. Were there awards? If so, maybe you could contact the race director and bring your suspicions to their attention.