Plateau Help!

Options
I have been working out pretty hard for the past 3 weeks... the first week of working out i lost about 5 lbs. My lowest weight was last week at 249 lbs, but starting the next day i went up to 251, and now i'm around 252 and have been staying there. I do a lot of cardio. I just started adding some strength about 5 days ago. It takes a lot to gain a lb of muscle, i doubt its that. i dont over eat and maintain my calories between 1200-1400. (Goal is 1700)

Why do you think i'm gaining a bit? i dont look physically different, but i feel bigger.

What should i do to jumpstart again?

at first i actually was getting more muscle, my calve muscles are pretty big but they haven't changed in 3 weeks.

Replies

• maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If your working out like you are then 1200-1400 cals per day isn't going to keep you going so my guess would be your not getting enougth cals in.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I agree I think you are eating too little. Trying upping your calories and make sure you get enough protein in. You may also want to adjust your workout routine. You're body can get too used to that too. Change it up, try something new. Maybe even a change in the time of day you workout if possible. You could also be retaining water so make sure you are drinking plenty of it!!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I dont believe in the whole not enough cals! Just my view!

I'd give your body a jump start I did this about a month ago was the best thing is did before getting back training hard! Just give you body a shock!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You are only just getting settled into some sort of routine after 3 weeks so you aren't on a plateau. Let your body get used to the diet and exercise and then start measuring/weighing.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is not a plateau. And yes, you aren't eating enough. I'm female, weigh exactly the same as you and I eat 2250 cals a day to lose 1.5lb a week.

Change your MFP plan to lose 1lb a week, set it as sedentary and log and eat back your exercise cals. 1200 cals is simply not enough, especially with your workout routine.
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    I've been dieting and exercising for 3 months, i've lost 56 lbs, but i feel like it is a plateau because all that weight loss has seized. i've been the same for 3 weeks.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't want to get away from the fact that you have done so well in loosing all that weight it's a big thumbs up from me but, I don't belive it's always a good thing keeping the cals as low as you have along with working out so hard, low cals & lots of working out will make you lose fast for sure but your now paying the price. It's not natarel to exspect your body to work normally under that sort of stress & it's now saying "OK thanks for the workout's & weight loss but FEED ME while you do it"