Walking around the office barefoot

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That's really weird.

I take off my shoes at my desk because I sit on my feet while I work (gives me a better angle to see the screen), but I work in a back corner and would NEVER walk around without shoes.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Here in AUstralia it would be against Occupational Safety & Health rules - besides being unprofessional!
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Ill take my shoes off at my desk but if I have to get up... they go on...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I take off my shoes too... but usually only at my desk. I don't go walking around without any shoes... and I wouldn't take them off if we were allowed to wear flipflops... or even tennis shoes...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    In my office, as all USPS offices, the rule was leather shoes only, no sandals, flip flops or canvas shoes allowed, and never barefoot. Safety rules.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    its unprofessional here (america) because we have culturally decided and agreed upon the unprofessionalness of it. so keep your shoes ON in an american office, please.

in other countries they take their shoes off whenever they go into a building, so they don't care. in places like that it's considered gross to keep your shoes on. 'over there' they don't get grossed out by feet--they are accepted as a part of life.

i do as the romans do but i often wish i didn't live in rome. often elsewhere there are better attitudes about things...
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I work in a medium size "corporate" office. In the summer months there seems to be an epidemic of people walking around the office without shoes. Not only around the office, but also to the bathroom and back. I can't stand it !! I hate feet. I have gone to my supservisor but she is one of the offending people.

What would you do? Am I overreacting? Do people in your office do the same thing?

Meh... it probably shouldn't bother you so much. It's just feet. It's not like they're walking around naked. Keep your shoes on if it bothers you and ignore it.

I used to work with a woman who would get all bent out of shape because she couldn't stand that this one girl sat with her legs, up in her chair, crossed. She made a HUGE fuss about it even though it really didn't effect her at all... in the end the girl was told to sit with her feet on the floor and the other woman was happy but everyone just thought the other woman was an insufferable nag.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll give you that it's gross and borederline unprofessional (depending on company environment) but I honestly don't understand why it's a reason to complain to management. Seems like that's the norm and generally accepted. Every office has it's own vibe.

We happen to be very casual here and can wear jeans and shorts and even flip flops and hats on certain days as long as there aren't any clients visiting. I've even seen people wearing crocs! On the other hand, others still dress very professionally year round. As far as I'm concerned, if you're getting your work done and all your vital bits are covered, I could care less what you're wearing.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have a rep to maintain here! I'm originally from West Virginia!

High 5 West Virginia!

I don't wear shoes most of the day, but I work from my house and often from on top of my bed (like right now!). I don't like getting my shoes on the furniture so I just don't wear them most of the day. Or out to my mailbox, even though I stepped on a bee once and I'm mildly allergic and my foot swelled up huge. You think I'd learn...

But public areas, especially bathrooms, ALWAYS shoes. Not even flip flops: if I'm wearing sandals they have to push me a good inch off the floor with thick soles.
  • ChloeEliizabeth
    ChloeEliizabeth Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Someone at my university takes his shoes off and walks around during lectures. I find it strange especially seeing as he only ever ears flip flops anyway!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    In the bathroom... yuck you are not over reacting. In the general offica area? Lighten up.... it's summer, it's a new world now that the traditionalists have passed the torch to the boomers. Just wait until us Gen Xer's are in charge... casual everyday and NO MORE DANG MEETINGS TO DISCUSS EVERYTHING!!!!

(Said the HR Employee)
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'll pop off my shoes at my cube and once in awhile walk two cubes back barefoot - but I wear 4-5" heels everyday so sometimes these tootsies need a rest by the end of the day! NEVER to the bathroom barefoot. EVER. That is disgusting.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, but I work in a small office with only 2 other women.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I work in a medium size "corporate" office. In the summer months there seems to be an epidemic of people walking around the office without shoes. Not only around the office, but also to the bathroom and back. I can't stand it !! I hate feet. I have gone to my supservisor but she is one of the offending people.

What would you do? Am I overreacting? Do people in your office do the same thing?

eh... I don't understand why anybody hates feet. They're just another part of the body. It's like people being grossed out by genitalia.

As for your specific issue, I think it is "unprofessional" whatever that means, but I don't think it's possible to care less than I already do.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Gross. I am so with you. I HATE FEET! I think at the work place you should be wearing your shoes. I mean yes i am def one to admit i take mine off AT my desk, but always - ALWAYS put them back on before leaving.

is there a dress code policy in effect? Perhaps if your boss is also one who does this - you could go to someone above your boss?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would if I could, but it is HIGHLY unprofessional, so I don't.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I certainly do it under my desk, and if I'm there late I'll go as far as the printer. Never in the bathroom. But I also don't understand why it would be a reason to complain to management. It's unprofessional, depending on the environment, but it also doesn't affect you.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When I first started working here, people did that a lot. Then we got a new director who reminded everyone (I dont understand why they needed reminding about common sense) that shoes must be worn at all times. A lot of people do remove them while sitting at their desk, but not walking around.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I ususally take mine off at my desk, and work around my cubicle with them off, I put them on if someone comes to my desk or I need to get up

^^^ This^^^