Calories cooked v/s uncooked

cobygrey
cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I was cooking hamburger patties for my hubby last night and of course I'm reading all nutrition facts. So, I noticed that for 1 quarter pound beef patty there are 240 calories. Is this before cooking? Because I use the George Foreman grill and I see all the fat in the drip pan. So shouldn't the calorie count be a little different?

So that got me thinking. Wouldn't the calorie count be different for anything cooked v/s uncooked?

I like to hear what everyone thinks.

Replies

• metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    That is a great question., I wish I knew also. Especially with popcorn, that one drives me crazy. hopefully someone has some answers. Thanks for posting wish i could help but i am right here with you on this.:flowerforyou:
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Generally when you cook something it either gains or losses water so the while the volume/weight changes the calories only change if you add/take away fat.

As for using the George Foreman, I use the same calories as for grilled as I assume if I were to grill the meat that most of the fat would still come out and its better to over estimate how much you eat rather than under estimate. If its not listed on the packaging I Google it and if theres a few to chose from I choose one in the middle.

Hope that helps.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    That is a great question., I wish I knew also. Especially with popcorn, that one drives me crazy. hopefully someone has some answers. Thanks for posting wish i could help but i am right here with you on this.:flowerforyou:

From my experience with popcorn it expands with heat and losses some water, so if you pop 100g it will double (if not more) in volume but still weigh almost the same, that why IMO its better to weigh before you cook and calculate calories based on that weight.
This discussion has been closed.