Where I'm at and my goal

Options
So I am a teenage girl needing to lose weight I'm not fat but I want to shed around 20 pounds to boost my confidence and make me a healthier person I've always loved fruit but it's actually really dare to but so that's why chips biscuits etc were a bit part in this and as I've grown I've had big portions like breakfast a full tin of spaghetti 2 pieces of toast or lunch 2 sandwiches muesli bar chips popcorn apple or dinner a big plate of lasagne and wanting seconds and I always smacked due to boredom and self doubt when I'm stressed or upset and I've tried a few times to eat healthy but I just fail due to mom bringing chocolate home and not bothering the next day and eating all my days worth of weight loss so where I'm at now is I do about 5 hours a week on exercise I also like gymnastics so I go outside a bit so that's another like 5 hours of exercise and I'm wanting to get a gym membership in a week my plan is to add what I've eaten on here and you can add notes so I decided to put my next goal for the day so today I snuck in a few brownies and some chocolate oops and my goal for tomorrow is to stick to fruits and water crackers because my calorie intake was quite bad today so the goal makes me feel better than punching myself up about it also I've got this show thingie in about a month and possibly having to wear a leotard so that's another reason leave helpful tips and comment about yourself I'm ready to make a change sorry about it being really long I'll update each week

Replies

• Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi, welcome. :)

A few notes to help you:
    1. You don't need to eat 100 % healthy and severely restrict your diet. You can lose weight just fine while eating a brownie or lasagna every now and then, just make sure you stay within a slight deficit (that is just 100-200 kcal less than you need to eat to maintain your weight) and get 90 % of your calories from nutritious foods so you're getting all the nutrients your body needs (dinner is important !). To do this, it's effective to cook with fresh foods and dry bulk foods like brown rice, couscous, lentils, peas, etc. Try to make cooking fun (perhaps you can cook with your mum/dad) with enjoyable healthy recipes.
    2. Take it easy and focus on being fit and strong. Building muscle will give your body a little shape, reduces your fat percentage if you stay at the same weight, and can change your look for the better. Also, as a teenager your body is building up its bones and matures into a woman's. It really needs energy to do so. Don't go overboard with your calorie deficit, exercise and weight loss. It may not seem like it now, but it's easy to overdo. 20 lbs loss may or may not be too much. If you're older than 15 make sure you don't drop below a BMI of 18.5 at your goal weight and that your period stays regular. If you're younger it can be lower, but you should really ask your family physician.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Xymheia wrote: »

A few notes to help you:
    1. You don't need to eat 100 % healthy and severely restrict your diet. You can lose weight just fine while eating a brownie or lasagna every now and then, just make sure you stay within a slight deficit (that is just 100-200 kcal less than you need to eat to maintain your weight) and get 90 % of your calories from nutritious foods so you're getting all the nutrients your body needs (dinner is important !). To do this, it's effective to cook with fresh foods and dry bulk foods like brown rice, couscous, lentils, peas, etc. Try to make cooking fun (perhaps you can cook with your mum/dad) with enjoyable healthy recipes.
    2. Take it easy and focus on being fit and strong. Building muscle will give your body a little shape, reduces your fat percentage if you stay at the same weight, and can change your look for the better. Also, as a teenager your body is building up its bones and matures into a woman's. It really needs energy to do so. Don't go overboard with your calorie deficit, exercise and weight loss. It may not seem like it now, but it's easy to overdo. 20 lbs loss may or may not be too much. If you're older than 15 make sure you don't drop below a BMI of 18.5 at your goal weight and that your period stays regular. If you're younger it can be lower, but you should really ask your family physician.

Excellent advice. Also buy a scale and weigh your food, otherwise you really don't know how much you are eating.
    PS I fit chocolate into my macros often. Macros- carbohydrates, fats, protein and sugars.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

A few notes to help you:

This ^^^^. You can eat what you want in moderation. I always give the example of the opposite of this, someone who eats foods with high calories, high saturated fat, high sugar and sodium, 90% of the time and the other 10% they make healthy choices, that 10% will make little to no difference from a positive standpoint in their overall health. Same applies, you can have ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc, just as long as most of the time you are eating lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies, etc most of the time. Goodluck!
  • azealeawhite
    azealeawhite Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

A few notes to help you:

Hey thanks for your reply I'm not going to be silly and not eat so your comment was very helpful