Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Trying to figure out the amount of calories I need.. HELP!

I am just so confused with how many calories I should be eating to lose weight
My goal is 2 pounds a week, I'm 6'2 220 24 years old
I have a good weight program in the gym and I do insanity at home for cardio
I've had good results with this by just eating clean but I want to perfect it and know exactly how many calories to eat in a day.
I've used BMR calculators, found that my BMR is 2200, so I just subtracted 500 from that (1700) and that's how many calories I'm eating because I assume I'm burning probably over 500 with my workout routines
Which = 2lb a week
But at the same time many tell me this is way to few calories and I just want to cry lol

Here's the diet I came up with
Meal #1 Whey Protein + Banana
Meal #2 5oz Grd Turkey + Whole Wheat Buns
Meal #3 5oz Chicken Breast + 8 oz Sweet Potatoe (OR 6" Dbl Meat Subway Club)
Meal #4 5oz WHey Protein
Meal #5 5oz Chicken Breast
Meal #6 Whey Protein
+ 2 v8 Juices as snacks throughout the day.
it's as close to a 50/30/20 split as I could get it.
I've really done my research on all of this but there is so much information and 90% of it contradicts eachother .. I just need a professional to tell me if I have done this correctly

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Don't subtract from your BMR because that is the amount of calories your body needs to work every day. You need to calculate your TDEE (I suggest moderately active since you have a workout regimen and don't eat calories burned back) and subtract 10-20% of that total for your food intake calories, but it should still be above your BMR. 2lbs a week may be a little too much for someone at your height and weight, you may want to aim for a smaller goal per week.

EDIT: I'm not a professional, this is just my opinion based on my own results and research.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    You should be subtracting from your TDEE not your BMR.
  • Your Suggested Fitness and Nutrition Goals

Congratulations! Your personalized diet and fitness profile is now complete. Based on your answers, here are your suggested nutrition and fitness goals.

NUTRITIONAL GOALS TARGET
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,780 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 245 g
    Fat / Day 59 g
    Protein / Day 67 g
    *Net calories consumed = total calories consumed - exercise calories burned. So the more you exercise, the more you can eat!
    FITNESS GOALS TARGET
    Calories Burned / Week 5,810 Calories / Week
    Workouts / Weekends 6 workouts
    Minutes / Workout 120 minutes
    If you follow this plan...
    Your projected weight loss is: 2 lbs/week
    You should lose 10 lbs by August 29
    GET STARTED NOW!

This is what MFP gave me after telling them i'm lightly active, and workout 90 min a day 6 times a week (Weights + Insanity)

I'm 6'2 220.

Is this correct?