Toning up - how long does it take?

Options
I reached my goal weight so now my new goal is to tone up my core, arms, thighs. I've been doing strength training pretty regularly since December and have seen results. I was wondering how long it might take to really tone up my core. I was thinking of one year, is that realistic? I recently started using resistance bands. I haven't used any weights. Should I incorporate weights into my routine? I've been using the Sworkit app and do strength exercises for 25 min sessions 4-5 times a week. I also enjoy walking so I walk 3-4 miles a day about 5 days a week. Thanks.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Toning up will mean losing fat to show more muscle definition.... Which means either being in a deficit, or doing recomp (especially if you're at goal weight and don't want to lose more) .
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Ok so I should continue a deficit vs trying to maintain and tone up. If I tried recomp would any resistance exercises do or do I need weights?
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Been wondering this too. I want to start toning, but don't know really where to begin so I know it's going to take a really long time for me XD
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Good advice from jemhh.

It's impossible to set a time frame.

For others out there reading, this is why it is heavily advised to strength train through out the weight lose process, so that you are far far ahead of the game body composition wise when your goal weight is reached.
  • whipdancer
    whipdancer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'll ditto that. It's nearly impossible to pinpoint a time frame.

Maybe change the question. Is your goal weight the final destination?

Because, in order to get toned - your weight will likely change. It may go up or may go down depending on many other factors. Is that going to be ok?

Personally, I switched from a goal weight to a goal body fat percentage. My goal is 18% body fat. Once I get there, then I decide what comes next (increase strength, lower fat more, or even maintain). In the end, I mostly don't care what my weight is as long as I am healthy.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    Options
    whipdancer wrote: »

Because, in order to get toned - your weight will likely change. It may go up or may go down depending on many other factors. Is that going to be ok?

Personally, I switched from a goal weight to a goal body fat percentage. My goal is 18% body fat. Once I get there, then I decide what comes next (increase strength, lower fat more, or even maintain). In the end, I mostly don't care what my weight is as long as I am healthy.

Yes once I reached my gw I decided my new goal/focus would be my body fat %. So I decided the number on the scale won't matter anymore. I'm at 26% now and want to see how I feel around 20%. I'm okay with my weight going up or down to reach my goal. If it goes up I'll take it I'm building muscle and I'm always happy with that.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between a couple years and never, most likely.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Yes once I reached my gw I decided my new goal/focus would be my body fat %. So I decided the number on the scale won't matter anymore. I'm at 26% now and want to see how I feel around 20%. I'm okay with my weight going up or down to reach my goal. If it goes up I'll take it I'm building muscle and I'm always happy with that.

how did you measure this 26% body fat number?

if that is accurate then I would suggest a small calorie deficit (250) calories a day + a structured progressive lifting program + macro and micro adherence.

Once you get to low 20% BF you can look at running a bulk or recomp....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you are near your goal weight, it might be soon. If you have a lot of loose skin, maybe never. Are you strength training?
  • OY74NmFGBL
    Options
    If you are near your goal weight, it might be soon. If you have a lot of loose skin, maybe never. Are you strength training?

Yup I've been strength training 6-7 months while losing weight. I don't have a lot of loose skin.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if that is accurate then I would suggest a small calorie deficit (250) calories a day + a structured progressive lifting program + macro and micro adherence.

I get weighed on a Tanita Scale which is bioelectric impedance analysis scale and gives me numbers for body fat %, fat mass, total body weight, and some other things.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I get weighed on a Tanita Scale which is bioelectric impedance analysis scale and gives me numbers for body fat %, fat mass, total body weight, and some other things.

Those tend to be not so accurate but I would suggest continued small cut ...
  • OY74NmFGBL
    Options

Thank you I think I will do that. Continue with a cut. I was doing 1200 Cal for a long while and recently went to ab 1400 and felt like I lost faster. This past week I was aiming for 1600. I think I'll try 1400-1600. Continue my cardio and strength exercises. Pick up some weights.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thank you I think I will do that. Continue with a cut. I was doing 1200 Cal for a long while and recently went to ab 1400 and felt like I lost faster. This past week I was aiming for 1600. I think I'll try 1400-1600. Continue my cardio and strength exercises. Pick up some weights.

Sounds good look into a good beginner program that is built around compound movements...