Problems with running - help!!!!

Options
So a few weeks ago, I started running (well … jogging) for the first time in over 10 years - I've been using an app that's similar to the C25K app to help me along, everything's been going fine and I soon got over my paranoia of running in public.
But I've had to stop about a week ago because I've started getting pains in my shins whenever I jog; so I went to the doctors today to see what was going on with my legs (it was the earliest I could get an appointment for) and he told me I have shin splints… and when I asked him what I could do to stop them and to prevent them in the future, he just told me to stop running - that my body obviously isn't meant for running - now I refuse to believe that!!
Is there anyone on here who has had shin splints? How did you get rid of it and how did you prevent it since?
I don't want to stop jogging because I've realised that I love it and I want to keep doing it.
When I had problems with my knees to start with I looked up on line how to prevent those pains, and I adjusted how I ran and it helped a lot - the pain went away and hasn't been back since, and it was about a week later that the pain in my shins started

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• alexrod028
    alexrod028 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are obviously the best ... I like nike and or asic running shoes. I also try to do a very good stretch before and after, which has helped tremendously. Short distances first, then increase it as your legs and overall body get used to it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Stop running and let it heal, make sure you have good shoes (jogging/running shoes, not just training shoes), and you may also want to study running technique to see if you're running flat-footed or putting too much impact on your heels. Otherwise once it heals there's no reason you can't run/jog again. I've had shin splints many times in my life, if you let it heal it generally will get better.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Decent supportive footwear, and take it easy on the speed. I had an issue with shinsplints about 2 years ago just from brisk walking but it was because I was in ballet pumps all the time and my feet were just slapping off the floor. I wear decent boots now and wear orthotic insoles to give a bit extra support and haven't had any problems since, including starting C25K :smile:
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Same thing as above, it was the shoes I was wearing. For me I need a very flexible light shoe with lots of freedom to move, I like the Nike Frees personally. Stretching also important.

It seemed to also help when I changed the speed of my running. A little slower at first and I didn't get the pains, I think that I was just pushing for too much too quickly at first.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Back when I was overweight, I made a variety of bad choices when I tried running, including not having the best shoes and running on concrete. Especially with the extra weight, my shins did not appreciate that, and I soon focused on other exercises.

Last year, after I lost most of the extraneous weight (not that that was necessary) I did C25K and managed my shins by starting running on turf, then adding a little concrete at a time. Eventually I could run completely on concrete, but if I started feeling that strain on my shins, I would get back onto the turf.

You will probably have to give it a little time to heal; you can use an elliptical or Arc trainer to develop cardio capacity, and when you are ready to run again, just take it a little at a time until your shins are adapted.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You do need to stop to allow it to heal of course.

When you run, do you actually hear the front of your foot slap down to hit the ground?
    Many people are such heel landers that happens. Listen at a location where people run, you'll hear them. Good place to watch and observe too (if not too obvious).
    Even if you don't hear it, it's likely happening enough to cause damage.

That muscle along the shin holds the front of your foot up, so of course it's not hanging down. So it is tensed.

Now you land on your heel to some degree, and just sitting in chair you can see this, and it forces the front of your foot down while under tension.

That's called eccentric loading, muscle under tension lifting, but you just forced stressed it to stretch longer.
    That's when you cause the most damage to muscle.
    Ever gone down a lot of stairs only?

In lifting that is desired, it's what makes the muscle stronger and grow more if diet supports it - but you are doing it up to maybe 15 reps and 3-5 sets only, not thousands of time with your whole body weight like when running.

Proper shoes can sometimes be the solution - but poor form can be used on good shoes.
    And good form can be used on poor shoes, that can actually make them acceptable to use.

Basically, you want to land more flat footed. This usually requires shorter strides and faster too, because your leg isn't being thrown out in front of you.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about - this is actually how to work the muscle that is damaged you are feeling.
    Just shows what you are doing thousands of times with your body weight, just reversed from what he is doing.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/LV45ReverseCalfPress.html

I'm not saying to do this, this is what you are doing already in reverse, the running will strengthen it anyway, merely holding the front of your foot up more, but landing right will stop overworking it.
    You may do such a workout later after recovered to strengthen it though.
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Many of the good running shops will do a free video analysis of you running on their treadmill. They will fit you with running shoes which are appropriate for your gait and they won't necessarily be the most expensive ones either. Good luck and don't give up!
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of running shoes
    One pair are karrimor trail running shoes which I use on forest trails that I run
    And the other pair which I use for running along pathways are oasics

They were both recommended to me in the shop I got them from - I got both because I couldn't decide which I wanted more lol x
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Oh yea - stretching
    I stretch before I get out the door to losen up a little, then I do a brisk walk for 5-10 minutes before i actually start jogging to warm up x
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ah, trail running.
    Usually can't do much heel landing then (but you can), but for sure you are holding the front of your foot up more to make sure it doesn't trip you up on obstacles.

If pain is purely from using the muscle more - just need to start out more slowly, that's all. But now need to recover.

When it's said to not increase weekly mileage by more than 10%, that's very hard to do at the start when going from none to whatever distance.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If its "just shin splints" after running... kneel with your toes tucked behind you and lean back holding the stretch as deep as is comfortable(it shouldn't hurt, but you should be able to feel the stretch) for 30-60 seconds.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Last, I'd get a new doctor if you can. You have a very common injury, which does NOT mean that there's anything wrong with your body.

I'd also agree. It was a lazy response to your question. Reminds me of some of the crappy doctors we have around here. If you're a smoker they blame everything on it. They missed a thyroid problem for years for my wife blaming her bone loss issues on smoking. Not looking at the whole picture just because you're doing something they don't agree with is obtuse.

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice above. I'm also recommending you find a new doctor. Shin splints are incredibly common. That s/he told you to just stop running and that you're not meant for running just because of shin splints is ridiculous.
  • AbetheSamurai
    AbetheSamurai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In muay thai we love shin splits lol makes bone stronger.... However if you're getting that much discomfort, why not another form of cardio? Swimming, stairmaster or that little ski machine thingy haha those are all incredibly effective and less stress on joints!
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My endurance coach taught me to watch my stride. Being 6' tall I have a tendency to overstride and turn my feet out. After some good stretching and working on my form helped me stop them.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    However if you're getting that much discomfort, why not another form of cardio?

I was going to suggest the same thing, and specifically cycling. This isn't a troll suggestion. I know that running is what you want to do, but while you're building up to it, a bike may be a very satisfying source of exercise, motion, and calorie burn. You can even get a trail bike.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For the record there's actually no proof landing on your heel is bad for you. Many sub 3 hour marathoners land on their heel. Another great example is Chrissie Wellington is a World Champion in the triathlon world, and her running looks horrible. She's a sub 3 hour marathoner even after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride.
    Not Stretching on the other hand is the number one cause of injury for runners. People should stretch for 10 to 20 minutes before their activity and stretch afterwards.
    Shoes play a vital role in running as well, but I think people can honestly run in anything up to a certain distance. Someone just ran a half marathon in like 1 hour and 12 minutes I think in Crocs.