So... I just realized. We're not supposed to eat below our BMR?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
I wasn't really thinking about it and I aim for 1200 calories per day. My BMR is probably around 1500. Should I be aiming there? I notice I naturally gravitate towards an average of 1500-1600 per day anyway so I wonder if maybe that's why - that I just require that much to feel good. So am I remembering this right all of a sudden? Eat BMR or higher and under TDEE?

Replies

• elizabethhilbert
    elizabethhilbert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat below my BMR every single day. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    IMO, your BMR is less relevant than your TDEE. You just don't want your overall deficit to be too big. There are some circumstances (a very sedentary person, for example) where it's perfectly okay to eat under your BMR.

Awesome. Well, hopefully that's okay. And I mean NET below BMR btw not gross except on days when I am not active at all.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 which is below my BMR as well, but I'm very short (less than 5'), I tend to splurge a bit on weekends and I don't feel hungry all the time. It's working for me. The goal is to find the highest amount of calories that you can eat and still lose weight! It does take some playing around with it to get it just right.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Odds are you can lose at 1500 and be much happier doing it. 1200 is just kind of miserable, particularly if you can't be highly active.

I don't usually mind I definitely lose at 1500 about 2.2lbs per week.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No problem eating under your BMR, especially as you are pretty sedentary. But you may want to slow down your weight loss at this point and aim for 1 lb a week.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    No problem eating under your BMR, especially as you are pretty sedentary. But you may want to slow down your weight loss at this point and aim for 1 lb a week.

Any particular reason you suggest that? I have 54lbs left btw. My goal was to be done by November.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't start feeling too deprived with only 1200 calories, I don't see why you can't continue! As you get closer to goal and start to transition into maintenance you will slowly add calories until you find your "sweet spot" for maintaining your weight - good luck to you.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    As long as you don't start feeling too deprived with only 1200 calories, I don't see why you can't continue! As you get closer to goal and start to transition into maintenance you will slowly add calories until you find your "sweet spot" for maintaining your weight - good luck to you.

Thank you for the input!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You're likely obliterating muscle losing more than 2lbs per week with only 50lbs to go. Your heart is a muscle.

yeah this ^ that's why its encouraged to slow your loss closer to goal maybe set to 1.5 pounds? Potentially losing lean mass to get a number on the scale is like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Also if you're gravitating to eating closer to your BMR I think you should listen to your body and have an easier ride. :) x
  • Verity1111
    Options
    You're likely obliterating muscle losing more than 2lbs per week with only 50lbs to go. Your heart is a muscle.

yeah this ^ that's why its encouraged to slow your loss closer to goal maybe set to 1.5 pounds? Potentially losing lean mass to get a number on the scale is like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Also if you're gravitating to eating closer to your BMR I think you should listen to your body and have an easier ride. :) x

Eating at my BMR is when I lose 2.2lbs when I net 1200 I lose even faster.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unless you have had metabolic testing, you wouldn't even know what your metabolic rate is. Generally, losing .5-1% of your body weight per week is acceptable. Take your TDEE, cut 15-25% and call it a day. No need to over complicate this.