Will upping my calories help me lose weight?

Options
I'm 5"5 140lbs, my job is active (on my feet 9hours a day) I go to the gym and strength train 5-6 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I eat 1200 and drink loads of water, I have yet to lose any weight ( 3 months in)
I've read that sometimes upping your calories will cause weight loss but I'm scared I'll just end up putting on more weight

Replies

• leanneconnolly975
    leanneconnolly975 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I assure you all I have taken great care in tracking what I eat, weighing everything. I often feel tired and lack energy throughout the day, the reason I thought I might need to up my calories
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Up your calories and see what happens. The worst thing that'll happen is you'll gain a few pounds, but your question will be answered. Another thing you could try is keeping your current caloric intake and adding cardio into your workouts.
  • leanneconnolly975
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I assure you all I have taken great care in tracking what I eat, weighing everything. I often feel tired and lack energy throughout the day, the reason I thought I might need to up my calories

Are you also making sure the entries you choose are correct? Being mindful of how many calories you burn/eat back exercising?

If so, the next step would be ruling out any possible health issues by seeing a doctor. With an active job and at a healthy BMI, 1200 calories is very low and you should easily be losing weight.

Hey, yeah I have been and any packages are barcode scanned
  • leanneconnolly975
    Options
    Are you using a scale?

I've also notice that you've just joined MFP today. Where have you been logging your food?
    Are you using a scale?

Ive been logging it in mvp but this is my first time using the community feature:)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Are you also making sure the entries you choose are correct? Being mindful of how many calories you burn/eat back exercising?

If so, the next step would be ruling out any possible health issues by seeing a doctor. With an active job and at a healthy BMI, 1200 calories is very low and you should easily be losing weight.

Depending on where you are, packaged food can be up to 20% off on what's listed on the label (sometimes more, sometimes less). Also, do you double check the nutrition facts on the label with what the scan brought up? The info is very very often user entered and can be wrong.

Your logging might be spot on, but the database entries might be wildly off (reason why people ask to look at your diary).

Edit: I'm ways to slow at typing today. :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

But you're also double-checking that the calories/macros associated with that barcode are correct? The database can often be wrong.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most the people on here. If you are eating 1200 calories a day and are active 9 hours a day PLUS gym time and weight lifting 1200 calories is not enough. You would have to be getting close to netting only a few hundred or negative calories every day? That is way too much of a deficit. If you are logging correctly (and that means EVERYTHING you are putting in your mouth) then from what i have read, you should be eating back half your calories. I would try to log your daily activity at work, as well as the gym, and see what your net is and go from there. I'm not sure where you ever got on 1200 calories? MFP asks you when you start if you are active, and if so, they don't start you at 1200. I am eating around 1500. Sometimes i go to the gym, sometimes i dont. Sometimes i have a walk on my breaks during the day and i am averaging a 10 pound weight loss per month. I would increase your calories.