constant headache caused By diet?

Options
I've had a headache for awhile now? Do you think my diet could be causing my headache

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out caffeine?
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out caffeine?

That was my first thought.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Headache causes are difficult to pinpoint. Possible? Yes. Likely? No idea.
    A few things that cause headaches for me:
    • Seasonal allergies
    • Hormonal shifts
    • Blood pressure
    • Stress
    • Dehydration
    • Perfumes/scents
    • Certain food additives (artificial sweeteners - some but not all)
    • Fatigue
    • My children :wink:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had a near constant headache for several weeks. Turned out I was vitamin D deficient. Started supplements and daily headache went away.

But also, caffeine withdrawl could do it.

Maybe check that and then think about seeing doctor to make sure your basic vitamin and minerals are in order.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If you have cut your carb intake, that can cause your water weight to flush out quickly and imbalance your electrolytes.

Supplementing with sodium, potassium and magnesium helps a lot.
  • weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I cut soda out. So caffeine could be whuy.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How long is awhile?

Have you lowered the amounts of carbs you are eating radically? Or did you cut out caffeinated drinks? Is your deficit too radical? Are you drinking enough? Are you stressed?

In the first case you might be feeling the effects of the low carb. It's usually recommended to increase sodium somewhat in this case. Low carbers might be able to help more in this case.

If you lowered your caffeine consumption (or cut it out completely), then the headache is your body's way of telling you to eff it. Caffeine is a mildly additive substance and cutting it out will trigger withdrawl symptoms (the most common being headache).

If you're running a too steep deficit, the headache might just be your body's reaction to that and should be taken as a warning sign. If that's the case, raise your calorie limit a little bit.

If you're not drinking enough, a headache is sometimes your body's way of letting you know that.

If you're stressed, you might end up with tight muscles in your neck and upper back. This can lead to tension headaches which are seriously unpleasant. A deep tissue massage by a physical therapist is a good investment in this case. Also, finding ways to reduce the stress to prevent a recurrence.

If none of those are the case, then the cause might be different and might be worth getting checked out at the doctor's. Having a constant headache when before you had none is not normal.

ETA: I really am too slow today. Seems like all the eventualities have already been mentioned and the likely culprit found :smile:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I cut soda out. So caffeine could be whuy.

Try a caffeine pill or Excedrine migraine (it has caffeine in it).