Is consuming more than 30 grams of fibers bad for u?

Options
Anyone had good/bad experience with consuming lots of fiber?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people find that consuming high amounts of fiber gives them digestive issues/discomfort. Others don't have a problem with it.

I sometimes get 50-60 grams in a day and it never bothers me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    it should only give you problems if you're not drinking enough fluids, otherwise your system should be able to flush out the excess.

even for those drinking enough fluids too much fiber has the opposite effect on them(it constipates them or even can cause diarrhea).I suggest slowly upping fiber and go from there to see if higher amounts cause digestive issues. I try to eat 40g or more a day. but then Im on a high fiber diet
  • ianisha
    ianisha Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bought a bread which has 12 grams of fiber per slice, I had two slices with cooked spinach with other veggies which gave around 8-10 fibers so altogether I had around 35 grams fiber in one meal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ianisha wrote: »
    I bought a bread which has 12 grams of fiber per slice, I had two slices with cooked spinach with other veggies which gave around 8-10 fibers so altogether I had around 35 grams fiber in one meal.

do you eat that much fiber in one setting? if not are you having gas,bloating,pain,etc? or did you just start eating higher amounts of fiber?
  • ianisha
    Options
    I usually hv normal healthy diet..nvr tracked fiber or calories..but this bread I m trying first time. I had it for lunch an hr bck..so far I m feeling ok
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ianisha wrote: »
    I usually hv normal healthy diet..nvr tracked fiber or calories..but this bread I m trying first time. I had it for lunch an hr bck..so far I m feeling ok

ok well just watch for any of those issues, you may not have them. if you do try and introduce extra fiber in more slowly and see if you continue to have any issue if you have them. some people do well with high fiber.only way to know is to try it and see.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I normally consume more than 30g, sometimes as much as 60g, and it's never been a problem. It's all from food, not fiber supplements.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fibre doesn't bother me. I aim for a minimum of 30g a day.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    More than 25 grams will keep me in the "seat" for a long time.
  • ianisha
    Options
    Thx everybody..Feeling ok so far..drinking enough water..I actually added a lot more fiber because I had barley/ wheat stew for dinner
  • ianisha
    Options
    My body adjusted well to increased fiber intake..I m consuming the double fiber bread( 12 grams per slice) everyday now.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat less fibre but I regularly get 50g/day unless I'm careful. I get bloated and gassy so I'm trying to cut out where I can
  • ianisha
    Options
    I'm trying to eat less fibre but I regularly get 50g/day unless I'm careful. I get bloated and gassy so I'm trying to cut out where I can

I take ACV,that takes care of bloating I guess
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. On my doctor's recommendation I aim for 45g per day. Sometimes I get less, sometimes more but I haven't had < 30 more than maybe 5-6 days in the past year.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My daily average is about 50-60 grams and there have been occasions where I ate upwards to 100 grams. If you are not used to fiber or if you have certain health conditions or intolerances that require lower fiber you may get unpleasant symptoms, but if you're used to it it's much less likely. If you're asking if it's "bad for you" in a general sense, the answer is no.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    A sudden increase in fiber might be problematic for a time, but I know plenty of vegans who get tons of fiber.