How much strength training is enough to tone?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
This is the one area I am clueless about.... So I have a 20lb kettle bell my BF got me for Mother's Day and I plan on doing weighted squats daily. I have been going to the gym every couple days so it will be maybe 3 times a week for now (maybe more but let's say 3). Once August hits it will be mainly walking and whatever I can do in the tiny space I have at home. I want to tone and maintain muscle as I lose weight. I am 180lbs and 5'4" and I have lost 45lbs. My goal weight is 127lbs (53lbs left to lose). At the gym I usually do something like leg press 3 sets 20 reps 100-120lbs (or sometimes 6 sets 12 reps of the same weight), chest press in sets until my arms give out pretty much (I can only chest press like 35-40lbs lol), glute kickbacks with 70lbs and I did 3 sets of 7 per leg last time (I had an injury last year and didnt walk for 5 months so Im trying to take is slow with my ankle...I still have 8 screws a plate and a wire in there)... I also do squats at home (unweighted). Ive been doing 20-30 at a time but I will slowly up them as I can since Im out of shape right now. I will be doing weighted ones now. Anyway, what can I do to help the impact? How much do I need to do per day or week for it to make a difference? & yes I will be upping the weight as I go. I am doing what I can handle right now without hurting myself on the machines.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1 squat a day can make a difference! Anything more than what you're currently doing will help.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just add on weight as you go. Once say 10 reps with the weight becomes easier, add on 5 pounds or so. This will help you become stronger. This will help give you the look you are looking for. I'd look into a program though if I were you. There probably are some kettlebell ones. Or maybe Jamie Easton's live fit trainer on body building, there is an app (search body building)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice!! I just don't want to go from fat to skinny fat lol
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    "toning" isn't really a thing...if you are wanting to build muscle you may want to look into a structured lifting program...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Until you get close to your ideal weight, you will not see muscle definition, if this is what you mean with toning. Looking "toned" has more to do with low body fat than with what exercise routine you are following. Just do whatever you enjoy, and it will be fine, unless you have e.g. specific strength goals in mind
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves. Both are great books with a lot of useful information. IMO, each has its own strength: NROLFW has great background information on some of the science behind gaining strength but I didn't like the way the program was set up. Strong Curves has a nice selection of several structured programs, one of which you can do entirely at home with minimal equipment.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is no set amount per day. The appearance of being toned is going to come from both having muscles and lower bf% to show them. Also you don't have to do strength training daily. Exercising daily is fine, it just doesn't all have to be strength focused.
    One thing to keep in mind is progressive loading. Which isn't only limited to more weight. That's the easiest, but you can do more reps, take less breaks, change tempo (go slow or add pauses).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Toning is looking more defined... From losing fat. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do resistance training!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    All you need is 10000 steps a day

For maintaining muscle? Won't that just calories? It isn't really strength training.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Yes guys what I mean is I want a defined look, so what can I do to maintain the muscle I have as much as possible while losing weight. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been using a fitness glider. It's a cardio machine, but it works all the major muscle groups. Other than that? Fit tubes and bands and dumbbells.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I've been using a fitness glider. It's a cardio machine, but it works all the major muscle groups. Other than that? Fit tubes and bands and dumbbells.

Is that the same as an elliptical machine?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Probably not.

The Gazelle(most common fitness glider) is sort of kind of like an elliptical... but totally different.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Probably not.

The Gazelle(most common fitness glider) is sort of kind of like an elliptical... but totally different.

I see... never heard of it. I don't think LA Fitness has them by me, which is where I go.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    As other people have said, looking "toned" (and by that I mean slim with muscle definition) has to do with having a lower body fat percentage. So you have to continue to eat at a deficit and strength training is always beneficial.

Yes I know but thats why I was wondering how much strength training would be helpful to maintain muscle mass? and if what Im doing is enough. I phrased it badly lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Probably not.

I see... never heard of it. I don't think LA Fitness has them by me, which is where I go.

It's almost exclusively a home device.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As other people have said, looking "toned" (and by that I mean slim with muscle definition) has to do with having a lower body fat percentage. So you have to continue to eat at a deficit and strength training is always beneficial.

Yes I know but thats why I was wondering how much strength training would be helpful to maintain muscle mass? and if what Im doing is enough. I phrased it badly lol

How much is going to vary from person to person so I don't think you will get an answer that works across the board.

For me, 2-3x per week, 20-30 min per session (including set up and rest.. ) was enough to maintain muscle while I lost my baby weight.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Probably not.

It's almost exclusively a home device.

I see. It looks huge. if it folds up I could maybe get one lol but its too big for our tiny place.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You are doing a good amount. Just continue upping the weights/reps as it gets easier. Try to hit all the major muscle groups. The great news is that people who have been overweight for a while tend to already have more muscle mass from moving around all that excess weight. That means when you drop the fat (and keep the muscle), you will look much more defined.