Alternative sweetener?

Options
JessG11
JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
I am sure there has already been multiple topics on this but thought I'd ask again.

Because of migraines, I've stop touching artificial sweeteners (migraines have all but stopped by the way!). In the meantime, I've picked up about a two cup a day coffee habit, on occasion, I'll crave a coke and drink a normal coke as opposed to diet coke, and some days, I drink tea which is about a gallon of tea made with 3/4 cup of sugar. I DO get my water in. With my weight, I try to drink around 100 ounces a day. I am one of those people who are CONSTANTLY drinking. I sit at a desk all day so I constantly have something to drink. I don't force my water. I enjoy it. But because I tend to get so much water, I do crave something different as in the occasional coke and sweet, iced tea.

BUT I'm a sugar junky and I am consuming too much sugar via drinks. Any and all suggestions for sugar replacements are welcomed! Plus any ideas to tackle the cravings. I'm trying to replace sweets with fruit. Curious if any other ex sugar junkies have found success with other methods.

Replies

• KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    sweet tea is a calorie killer, I live in the south and if you go out or to a get together sweet tea is what you are drinking.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia In The Raw. It is made from a plant and I've found nor heard of any side effects from it. Some say it has a bitter after taste but I don't notice it. It's WAY sweet and has helped me keep my sugar intake down. They also make soda with it. The sodas are called Zevia and aren't half bad if you can find them! Our local health food store normally has it. You can find the Stevia in the baking isle of stores like Walmart. It comes in packets or in big bags which I find for me the best way to go.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm like you in that I always have to have something to drink close by. When I'm craving cold (and it's too early for wine), I drink flavored seltzer. Very refreshing.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia In The Raw. It is made from a plant and I've found nor heard of any side effects from it. Some say it has a bitter after taste but I don't notice it. It's WAY sweet and has helped me keep my sugar intake down. They also make soda with it. The sodas are called Zevia and aren't half bad if you can find them! Our local health food store normally has it. You can find the Stevia in the baking isle of stores like Walmart. It comes in packets or in big bags which I find for me the best way to go.

I like stevia too! makes for good sub in some baked goods too anything not needing to carmalize.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia as well. I like it better then straight up sugar too.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Go stevia all the way..Never trust chemical sweeteners!!
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    Try Coconut sugar OR Stevia.
  • skinnyforcruise2013
    Options
    Domino makes a sweetner that has sugar and stevia in it. I LOVE it. So you are getting a few calories but I notice no aftertaste. For me it's a win-win.

I'm a southerner too so I've always loved sweet tea, with this stuff I can have sweet tea with just not as many calories.
  • marcelle973
    Options
    I started adding lemons to my water to just change it up a bit. Great on a hot day. If you aren't into that you can add fresh ripe fruit to water. It will naturally sweeten it and give it a great flavor. Just keep acting water to a big pitcher that has the fruit in it. The fruit can last a few days.

Another option is to take a few pieces of fresh ripe fruit press in the bottom of a glass. Like mashing potatoes. Add water and stir. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    agave nectar?

Or when you are craving the occasional cola, try a mexican coke or kosher coke? Both use real actual sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

They taste a lot better than regular coke in my opinion. They are usually available at any ethnic bodegas/grocers or mexican restaurants by me. Or the kosher cokes are in the jewish neighborhoods. (I'm in Chicago, so these types of things may not be available where you are.)
  • JessG11
    Options
    All great suggestions! I'm for sure going to right them down. I've tried Stevia before and had a heard time with it. But I know I can acquire the taste and come to prefer it just like I did years ago when I decided to switch to diet coke.

And I love the mashed ripe fruit with water idea....especially this time of year when fruit seems to be sweeter.

Thanks everyone!!!!
  • JessG11
    Options
    agave nectar?

Or when you are craving the occasional cola, try a mexican coke or kosher coke? Both use real actual sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

They taste a lot better than regular coke in my opinion. They are usually available at any ethnic bodegas/grocers or mexican restaurants by me. Or the kosher cokes are in the jewish neighborhoods. (I'm in Chicago, so these types of things may not be available where you are.)

I'll have to look for this too! I'm in the south so stores like this may not be as plentiful as in Chicago but I know we have them. Thanks!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have tried Stevia but if I use it too often it also gives me headaches. I first started by cutting sugar in half and now do not put any in my coffee or tea or iced tea. I do sprinkle some cinnamon in my coffee for a bit of a different taste and do use skim or 2% milk which does have some sugars in it. I also use a slice or two of lemon or lime or orange in my iced tea.
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/coconut-palm-sugar-best-new-sugar-alternative

I found this quite interesting. Also, when using coconut sugar I found I didn't really need that much.
  • JessG11
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/coconut-palm-sugar-best-new-sugar-alternative

I found this quite interesting. Also, when using coconut sugar I found I didn't really need that much.

Are you only using it in your drinks like coffee and/or tea or have you cooked with it as well?