Fitbit Charge 2 and spinning?

Options
Ocrgrrrl
Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
My apologies if this has been asked before. I searched it but couldn't find an answer. Do I strap it to my ankle or shoe when I spin? I don't really care if it over estimates calories but want it to record steps. TIA.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Cycling isn't a step based exercise, so you'll be hard pressed trying to count your steps :wink:

Your fitbit has a HR monitor and automatic exercise recognition. So it will (should) pick up your spin class wearing it on your wrist.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Charge 2 was counting steps last night during spin class for some reason. I guess I had enough wrist movement to appear I was stepping. Other than that rare occasion, it never has registered steps before. My mom on the other hand wants the steps from spin, so she tucks her under her bike shorts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    No, you take it off when you spin. Riding a bike doesn't involve steps, so not using your Fitbit makes sure you don't *kitten* your step count up.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    There aren't any steps when spinning. Just leave it on your wrist and set it for spinning and go. It may record some "steps" like it does when you stir food on the stove and wash dishes, but if you're spinning and you set it to spinning, you're set.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I doesn't record steps AND it doesn't give you enough credit (cals burned) because of "the lack" of steps :s
    Before I used my Fitbit ONE (waist) and got 7k+ steps for Spin and my Polar hrm said I burn between 400-500 cals, well now the charge says 2,000 steps & 160 cals :'( It was supposed to be better!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have to add that of course it is important is the difference on my tracker between burning 1,800 cals a day VS 2,200 :( I want more food!
  • kierasayshi
    kierasayshi Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I never have understood why people insists on getting steps for an activity that doesn't have steps involved. Youre truly cheating yourself that way as its not at all accurate.
  • kierasayshi
    kierasayshi Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This also goes to show why Fitbit user tend to put on more weight because they are fooling themselves with these little cheats.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The only time I take mine off so it'll count the steps is when I'm pushing something while walking, like a cart or stroller.