Does lifting boost appetite?

Options
Planning to lift and if it so boosting appetite I won't be surprise or shock if I eat more :lol:

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry from lifting. You might though...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I find it slightly suppresses my appetite for the rest of the day, but then the following day I am very hungry.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Doesn't boost appetite for me. Neither does LISS cardio.
    Intense cardio does though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It did for me, the heavier the larger the effect. One of the reasons I stopped, it just wasn't worth needing to eat 5x the calories burned by lifting over my usual calories just to not be hungry coupled with a spontaneous decrease in non exercise activity compounding the effect. HIIT does that for me as well so I stopped it too. Body weight doesn't have that effect for me, it does increase appetite but not enough to be significant. It may be different for you, though. You may or may not have an increased appetite. The only reason to find out is to try and see.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it increases my appetite greatly.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm generally hungrier on my rest days.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    No
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I find it has a suppressive effect on lifting days. As above I'm hungrier on rest days.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When I started back lifting after having not done it for 20+ years I was starving the first week or two. Once I settled into a routine that starving feeling left. For that week or two I just barely ate at a deficit until things settled out. Then I went back to a regular deficit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Drastically increases my hunger.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find I'm extra hungry the following day.
    Cardio on the other hand completely supresses my appetite.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm generally hungrier on my rest days.

Agree with this. After I lift, I usually don't have much of an appetite.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Normally I lift over lunch hour, and have my lunch at my desk afterwards. I have not noticed it making me overly hungry, but I make sure I am properly fueled beforehand and afterward, so there is no room for shenanigans.

When I first started lifting, I often did it late at night after the kids were in bed. I had usually used up most of my calories for the day, and it would make me ravenously hungry. There is nothing sadder than trying to quell hunger with a protein shake made with water and one scoop of whey powder and 1/4 banana, trying to economize on calories.

So if you find it makes you hungry, play around with your timing, and just be prepared with foods that meet your goals to head it off at the pass.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Finally.

Interesting how many people find it doesn't increase hunger.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It only increases my appetite if I'm not eating enough protein, if I'm eating enough protein my appetite decreases.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

Finally.

Interesting how many people find it doesn't increase hunger.

Yeah, I find this interesting too. I lift in the morning and it makes me ravenous for the rest of the day, even with eating a tonne of protein. Conversely, both LISS and higher intensity cardio really seem to suppress my appetite. I'm clearly in opposite world to everyone else.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Not for me, swimming is the only one that makes me super hungry.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Not a ton. It used to a few years ago though...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm always hungrier on days I lift.