Foods you never thought you'd crave

Options
ceiswyn
ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
Anyone else found that restricting food completely change the kinds of cravings you get?

My standard baseline before I decided to change my relationship with food and with my body was chocolate. I always craved chocolate. Chocolate was basically where it was at.

When I was eating under 1000 kcal (my BMI was almost 60, and it's still not recommended) I couldn't give a rat's *kitten* about chocolate. All I wanted was cheese. Oh yeah, cheese. I cannot convey to you quite how amazing the taste of cheese was. It was like orgasm in a plastic wrapper.

Since I increased to more sensible allowances (between 1400 and 2100), cheese has become something I could take or leave; but I have to have a ready supply of oatcakes available. Yes, oatcakes. Those flat hard tasteless things that you normally have under cheese. How did I never appreciate their oaty deliciousness before?! Right now, someone could offer me cinnamon pastries or chocolate bars or baked Camembert or anything delicious, and I would still prefer an oatcake.

Anyone else get this?

Am I just sensibly craving things with the nutrients my body needs most? Or has starvation driven me mad?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Bread.

I rarely ate bread before I started with MFP - just didn't like it ... and now I eat at least one slice per day.