Carbs, Fats, Proteins???

Options
Okay, so I am on 1500cal a day,
weight training 40+-min 3x a week,
45min walks 3 x a week
At least 3lt of water a day.

But seriously this carbs, fats, proteins thing is kicking my behind. Is it necessary to be sticking to these type of macros?
How do I increase healthy fats without going over my calories or protein without my cholesterol going whack - because eggs.

Help!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pre log your day to hit your macros.

but generally speaking as long as you hit your calorie goal you will lose weight.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eggs.
    What are your macros?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Add avocados, walnuts, fish. You can keep the eggs, but add in these fats, plus make sure of eating plenty of veg and fruit. Do low or no fat dairy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get enough fats and protein. It is o.k. to go over.
    Carbs -- go over or under. They do not matter as much.

Good fats include fat from eggs, butter, full fat salad dressing, cheese, peanut butter. . . .
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Get enough fats and protein. It is o.k. to go over.
    Carbs -- go over or under. They do not matter as much.

Good fats include fat from eggs, butter, full fat salad dressing, cheese, peanut butter. . . .

While in theory I agree with this, if there's one macro I try to keep under control is carbs.
    Why?
    If you only have, let's say, 1700 calories a day, it's much better if you get 500 calories from protein and fats than carbs. Carbs tend to hijack your calories if you don't watch them, hence leaving less room for protein and fats. Carbs are important but to me, not as important as the other two. I am not saying to do low carb.
    At the end of the day, it's calorie in- calorie out that matters the most. Macros are to be worried about only if you have that down first
  • shazi89
    shazi89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My goals are 40C 30 30
    Like yesterday I was missing 62g P, 26g 40 and 9g F.
    Breakfast is usually fruit, muesli, yoghurt, PB and honey
    Lunch is soup or salad something like that.
    Supper is protein with veggies (maybe a small portion of healthy carbs)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    shazi89 wrote: »
    My goals are 40C 30 30

you must have been well under your calorie goal to be missing that much protein and carbs?
  • shazi89
    Options
    My goals are 40C 30 30

you must have been well under your calorie goal to be missing that much protein and carbs?

I don't refeed, so according to that standard I was under my calorie goal.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My goals are 40C 30 30

are you referring to eating back exercise calories?
  • shazi89
    Options
    My goals are 40C 30 30

Yes I am, I usually have a lot of calories left because of this. Obviously MFP isn't as accurate with how much you burn. I am actually considering not tracking exercise on MFP anymore.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My goals are 40C 30 30

Yes I am, I usually have a lot of calories left because of this. Obviously MFP isn't as accurate with how much you burn. I am actually considering not tracking exercise on MFP anymore.

you may want to consider using a TDEE calculation for your calorie goal then, instead of MFP.

that being said, i have always found MFP pretty much spot on for calories burnt. i have always lost/maintained based on eating them all back.
  • shazi89
    Options
    My TDEE is 2174 and BMR is 1581?
  • shazi89
    Options
    I feel abit lost with all of this :(:'(
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If your BMR is 1581 and you are eating 1500, you are not eating enough. You should eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE to lose weight. Like TDEE minus 500 daily if you want to lose one pound per week.

EDIT: Hit your protein goal every day to help retain muscle (which you will lose if you are losing weight and not eating enough protein). Protein, fat, and fiber are all great for keeping satiated. Carbs will probably happen on their own. ;) You don't necessarily have to meet your carb goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If your BMR is 1581 and you are eating 1500, you are not eating enough. You should eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE to lose weight. Like TDEE minus 500 daily if you want to lose one pound per week.

EDIT: Hit your protein goal every day to help retain muscle (which you will lose if you are losing weight and not eating enough protein). Protein, fat, and fiber are all great for keeping satiated. Carbs will probably happen on their own. ;) You don't necessarily have to meet your carb goal.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to see a study to confirm the theory of eating between your BMR and TDEE. Considering 99.9% of people (yes, I made that number up because I have only seen a literal handful in the 8 years of being here) don't get metabolic testing; I would be hard press to make a recommendation to do that without having actually supporting numbers. If anything, I'd stick to a 15-20% reduction from TDEE, eat adequate protein (.6-1g per lb) and resistance train (like the OP is doing).

OP, I only tend to track calories protein and fiber. I tend to cut fats, but keep them around .3g per lb of lean body mass to ensure I hit all essential fatty acids. I cut them because they are expensive and don't satiate me. I increase carbs (especially whole grains/oats), as they do satiate me along with protein. For weight loss, calories are king. Macros support improved body composition, athletic performance, and more.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Interestingly enough, I have yet to see a study to confirm the theory of eating between your BMR and TDEE. Considering 99.9% of people (yes, I made that number up because I have only seen a literal handful in the 8 years of being here) don't get metabolic testing; I would be hard press to make a recommendation to do that without having actually supporting numbers. If anything, I'd stick to a 15-20% reduction from TDEE, eat adequate protein (.6-1g per lb) and resistance train (like the OP is doing).

OP, I only tend to track calories protein and fiber. I tend to cut fats, but keep them around .3g per lb of lean body mass to ensure I hit all essential fatty acids. I cut them because they are expensive and don't satiate me. I increase carbs (especially whole grains/oats), as they do satiate me along with protein. For weight loss, calories are king. Macros support improved body composition, athletic performance, and more.

Yea, I over-simplified it (assuming that a 15-20% reduction in TDEE is typically a number that is between BMR and TDEE), and I see what you are saying about the problem with assuming the BMR number.
  • shazi89
    Options
    Thank you all :) I really appreciate the feedback!! Please add me as a friend if you don't mind.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My TDEE is 2174 and BMR is 1581?

So take between 10 - 20% off your tdee depending on how much weight you have to lose and then you don't need to worry about exercise cals
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have found that it helps to keep a variety of protein/fiber bars on hand. At the end of the night, if I'm still missing a chunk of protein or fiber, I grab the bar that most closely matches my needs.