Calories gained when excercising

Options
Hey guys. I've been using Myfitnesspal for a month, after doing some research on macronutrients, diets, etc. My results are great so far and i've lost 10 pounds in a month. I'm also doing intermittent fasting, which is helping me eat bigger meals and control my hunger much more efficiently.

Anyways, my question is about calories gained when exercising. As we all know, on my food diary i'll gain some extra calories when I track some exercise. What do these extra calories mean? Can I eat them if I want or is it recommended that I eat them all (also considering my macros)? I think i'm already near the answer, since yesterday I did not hit all of my calories and today i'm feeling hungrier than usual and a little woozy.

I just want to make sure i'm eating enough, so I can keep being healthy and energetic while losing weight. I'm not into crash dieting or eating very little calories, it makes you weak, stressed and miserable.

Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes you can eat them and it's recommended to eat them, your macros goals (grams) also adjusts when you exercise. You need to fuel your workouts as you've already found.

MFP's calorie goal is based on a NEAT calculation (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) so doesn't include purposeful exercise only your normal day-today work/life activities i.e. Job, School, Homelife.

Your calorie deficit - calculated by your chosen weight loss rate (1 pound of fat = 3500 calories) for example if you chose 2lb per week your deficit would be 7000 calories/7 days = 1000 calorie deficit per day

Depending on how you are calculating your burn you may want to start with 50% of you calories burned. MFP's database/Non HRM Machines are notorious for over-estimating burn, whereas an HRM tracker may be more accurate. Either way stick to a % and your calorie goal for a month and you will be able to evaluate the accuracy by comparing your weight loss to the rate you have chosen.

NEAT-Calorie Deficit+Exercise Burn = Calorie Goal
  • jugsosa2333
    jugsosa2333 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks!