Anyone have Success using Contrave?

Options
Thinking of getting my DR to prescribe Contrave to help with my binge eating, night eating, and cravings. Anybody use Contrave, and if so, what are your thoughts/results? Thanks!

Replies

• jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wanted to bump this up...
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You might start with generic Wellbutrin (which is in Contrave) it's less expensive. My doctor recommended that route and it really helped me. Plus those Contrave commercials piss me off. Good luck!!
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm halfway through my second week on Contrave. My first week I made sure to eat before taking the medicine because of so many people having nausea as a side effect. I haven't experienced any side effects from it yet. I noticed immediately that my need to snack throughout the day was gone and I was able to say "no" to what I usually wouldn't (chocolate). It has helped me tremendously have control again. I'm down 6 lbs.

Also, my insurance doesn't cover it, so I went to their website and applied for a coupon.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used it for about 4 months. I lost some weight and my cravings decreased but the horrific constipation was too much to handle. I weaned myself off and within weeks gained all the weight back plus some (about 15 lbs).
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I had that problem before contrave and constantly use miralax or stool softner. Sorry TMI. My point was I don't know if the contrave has added to it or not since it's a problem I had before hand.
  • omgitscynthia
    omgitscynthia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is day 2 on Contrave for me. I have found that I'm feeling full on much smaller portions already and that I am not feeling hungry nearly as much. Also eating hasn't been giving me the same "high" I would get before. I have binge eating disorder and I would eat until painfully full because of the feeling it would give me. Now I feel like I am just eating food because my body needs a little fuel.
  • TaquilaMockingbird
    TaquilaMockingbird Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today is day 6 for me, 9 lbs. down ! Barely any headaches, or nausea....so far.
  • blondebandbabe
    blondebandbabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just took my 1st pill. Hoping for minimal side effects and getting me over this plateau after having twins
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    You might start with generic Wellbutrin (which is in Contrave) it's less expensive. My doctor recommended that route and it really helped me. Plus those Contrave commercials piss me off. Good luck!!

I didn't know what contrave was but I know wellbutrin. I was on it a few years back for anxiety. It is a weight loss drug? I never lost weight on it. I did, however, get so spaced out while on it that I cause 2 car accidents in 2 days, slept all the time, nearly lost my job, forgot all my passwords to everything, and finally broke out in a hivey rashy mess. So.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    a drug is never really the answer for weight loss. My wife has tried different things..prescribed. the thing everyone who artificially "controls" their hunger is that you can't be on the drug forever. What happens when you go off it...many many people go back to their normal eating habits and the weight goes back on and usually more..get this..because while they lost weight before, some of it was muscle. so now...your lower body weight and body with less lean mass requires less calories. its a double edged sword.

MFP is about logging your calorie intake in managable chunks so that you can learn how and how much to eat and begin to understand how your body responds to the food you eat.

This isn't a sprint, its a marathon...its a life change. no quick fixes work.