What do you do after the day you overeat?

Options
124»

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Track it, acknowledge it and do better the next day.
    One day of gorging isn't going to make a big deal in the long-term.

You are in more danger of consistently eating say, 250 calories extra every day.
    That is a pound of fat every 2 weeks. That is how the fat gains "sneak up" on people.

Up 25 lbs of fat this year, up to 50 lbs of fat the following year...
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't change my diet, at least deliberately. If I feel like eating less, I will, but usually I'll just forget about it and stick to my calorie goal. When I was struggling with disordered eating, I would go through starve-binge-purge cycles, so it's really important that I don't associate starvation with binges lest it trigger a relapse. YMMV, but I don't think you ought to punish yourself with a large deficit the next day!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What can you do, beat yourself up for 5 minutes, and get back to it. You cant go back in time. Now hopefully you learn for going forward any cues or any means to not do it again. but unfortunately time travel hasnt been invented yet. So get back on track immediately.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Nothing, probably. If I REALLY binge, like a whole weekend of overeating while out of town, I'll make an effort over the next few days or week to eat at a deficit, or to get an in a few extra workouts. But generally, I won't worry much about one day.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether I planned for a big occasion or if my eating went off-road. I'm assuming you're thinking about the latter. In this case, it depends on how much I overate. Honestly, it also depends on my frame of mind.

- If it's a couple hundred calories in food, I can compensate with a deficit the following day without noticing much. I'll typically go longer before my first meal of the day and hardly notice the deficit.
    - If it's a couple hundred calories in wine, I'll add mileage the next day but not cut food.
    - If it's both of the above, I cut calories and increase mileage the next day. I usually have great workouts those days! I plan on doing this once a week in the holidays but otherwise try to keep things in bounds so I'm not always chasing yesterday's calories.
    - If it's an all out IDGAF binge, which sounds more like what you're talking about, I'm more susceptible to the binge-restrict thing so it's best for me to see if I can just do normal for a few days. This doesn't happen often but it does happen and it is the reason my weight creeps up in maintenance. It never drops without effort, but always creeps up when I slack off. I have a 5 lb range and go into a 250cal daily deficit when I get near the top of it. I've learned it's easier on my psyche to catch it at 5lb or less. Even though it's a small deficit, I get deficit weary after 8-10 weeks. I also really notice 5lb of fat, and that awareness is motivating.

Would it help you to *plan* a generous calorie allowance for those family events? Or is the root problem loss of control in that setting?
  • grishnak
    grishnak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to only eat maggoty bread for three stinkin days beforehand
  • Kxleesi
    Kxleesi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    log it and move on. Or i may intermittent fast to cut some calories the next day
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. It's no different to the reverse scenario really. If I didn't eat for a day I wouldn't spend the rest of the week eating more to catch up
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Assuming this is not BED or a pre-cursor to BED, then I would reduce calories in the run up to an event or if it was unplanned, reduce them after.

Logging and moving on is great for some but others like to see consistent progress.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    "What do you do the day after you overeat?"

Nothing, except maybe have a good poop. ;)
  • daiparfitt65
    daiparfitt65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I carry on as normal the next day. However I do try to fast as long as I can on the day I'm going to over eat. Usually I don't eat anything till 5 - 6 in the evening.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    proceed as usual next day, no regrets no remorse
  • edwilts
    edwilts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. If you're here, you have probably lost weight before so you know how it's done. Just get back on track and it may take a week or two to get back to what you were, but you know you can get there again. Just don't have "cheat days" every week if you're not getting back down to where you want to be.
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm in the log it and move on camp. :) I don't think we're hardwired for a specific calorie amount per day. You might find you're not as hungry the next day. Just be mindful, and if you don't need to eat much, don't. :)

Pay attention to the weekly net calories (under nutrition on mfp...just select "last seven days" and you can then toggle between net calories and total calories. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This girl has an eating disorder past, but she brings up some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opNnEbbPTe0