New to running - Ache on outside of hip after about 20 minutes of running

Options
I am new to running and am just working up to running a 5k. Now that I am able to run for extended times/distances, albeit at slow speeds (5 mph or so), I am experiencing a dull to medium ache on the outside of my hip (left side). This starts about 20 minutes into a run and goes away when I walk for maybe 30-60 seconds and comes back about 5 minutes after each time I walk it off. There is no pain there after I quit running or the next day.

Are there stretching exercises I should be doing to help prevent this? Is this just normal pain of getting my running muscles up to snuff?

I cycle and swim a lot and I am in otherwise very good shape...just new to running. I have good/fitted running shoes, socks and run trails that are mostly flat with occasional gentle inclines and are surfaced with a fine gravel (no pavement).

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely stretch more. A lot of runners stretch in a front-back direction, but you need to also stretch side to side to get the muscles on the inside of your legs and outside of your hips.

Also, if you cycle a lot, your hip flexors may be tighter than average. I read about this in a triathlon book recently. I was having the same problem, so I started stretching more after my runs than I usually would - and using foam rollers - and the pain has gone away.

Lastly, you should have someone watch you run (maybe in the store where you bought your running shoes?) to see if there is anything odd about your gait. Aside from the fact that many of us have one leg that is slightly longer than the other, you also may be pronating or supenating, causing strain on that hip.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend running on uneven surfaces if you can, such as soft grass or even gnarly trails - this will help your body flex more and stretch out those tight hip flexors. It's like when you transition from running on a treadmill to running outside - the change in surface can make you discover muscles you didn't know you had.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Your shoes may also be to blame depending on age (miles used) and style. If you haven't been to a running store for shoes you should give it a try.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You say you're wearing good/fitted shoes, but that's always something to double check when you have pain.

Depending on how "new" you are to running, 20+ minutes of running may be too much. Have you done something like the C25k plan? Even if you swim/bike a ton, running uses different muscles and puts your body through more pounding. It could be you've ramped up too fast...that's a pretty common way to find yourself in pain.

I recommend taking some time off until your hip stops hurting. Your pain sounds like how mine started last year, it would happen mid-way through my runs and I'd stop and stretch and continue and it'd feel ok. After weeks of just adding stretching but still continuing to run...I wound up sidelined for 3 months with fairly painful bursitis in my hip. Bursitis can be caused by overuse, weak glutes/core, and/or tight glutes/hips. If you look up hip bursitis, you'll find some helpful stretches and exercises to strengthen those injuries. Luckily its not a permanent thing and post-rehab I'm 100% pain free.

Oh, and if you don't already have one, get a foam roller! Roll your ITBand, quads, hamstrings, and glutes.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Try with different shoes and see if it still hurts. Changing shoes is what fixed the same issue for me.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    Yes, definitely stretch more. A lot of runners stretch in a front-back direction, but you need to also stretch side to side to get the muscles on the inside of your legs and outside of your hips.

Also, if you cycle a lot, your hip flexors may be tighter than average. I read about this in a triathlon book recently. I was having the same problem, so I started stretching more after my runs than I usually would - and using foam rollers - and the pain has gone away.

Lastly, you should have someone watch you run (maybe in the store where you bought your running shoes?) to see if there is anything odd about your gait. Aside from the fact that many of us have one leg that is slightly longer than the other, you also may be pronating or supenating, causing strain on that hip.

This, and you might also find some exercises to strengthen your hip flexors, in addition to stretching. I have some intermittent hip achiness, too, and some exercises I found googling have been really helpful. I can pop back in later with links.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    So if you start with your hand on your side, between your ribs and hip and start moving your hand down until it hits your hip bone, is the soreness right below that hip bone? If so that's your TFL, tensor fascia latae. It's a tricky little muscle to stretch, but it can be done. Here's a YouTube video on how to stretch that sucker.

http://https://youtu.be/sS7cYp4Z2kk

Pretty common overuse issue. Like I said, it's tricky to stretch and roll out and not an obvious muscle that runners are concerned about, but they should be.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies...Some great feedback above
    • I will try a different pair of running shoes (my old ones)
    • I have googled different stretching techniques and will add a few
    • It is not TFL - I have no ache after I stop running or the next day
    • It could definitely be doing too much too soon - Cycling and swimming muscles are NOT the same as running muscles as my DOMs can testify - I will continue to stop and walk it off if it continues to occur and will limit my runs to 30 to 40 minutes until this gets resolved

I am hoping this will simply work itself out as my running conditioning improves.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    So if you start with your hand on your side, between your ribs and hip and start moving your hand down until it hits your hip bone, is the soreness right below that hip bone? If so that's your TFL, tensor fascia latae. It's a tricky little muscle to stretch, but it can be done. Here's a YouTube video on how to stretch that sucker.

http://https://youtu.be/sS7cYp4Z2kk

Pretty common overuse issue. Like I said, it's tricky to stretch and roll out and not an obvious muscle that runners are concerned about, but they should be.

This is exactly what I came here to post. I do a lot of sitting throughout the day and struggled with what I thought were sore/tight hip flexors for a long time, but none of the stretches seemed to work. I found this stretch online and immediately felt relief. Life changing.

EDIT: just saw that you mentioned that it's not your TFL. Still recommend this stretch for anyone who sits a lot during the day!