RICE?!?!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Edit nevermind I see it now.

I will eat whatever my heart desires :smile: And lose weight doing it. We're not riled up, just pro-rice :lol: And admittedly a bit tired of hearing 'You can't eat this, this, or that and expect to lose weight!' which is just not true.

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    You obviously didn't bother to read the heartfelt apology in my comment, above.

You go ahead and eat whatever your heart desires.

I hadn't posted in the forum in a few years and hadn't realized how easy it is to get people riled up nowadays.

To be fair, the apology part halfway down the post might've gotten lost in all the sarcasm that you opened with *shrug*.

Who knew that it was such a polarizing topic?!

Seriously, though - to each their own and I'll second the bolded part above.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    They all taste a little different. I currently have brown, red, black, and smoked Basmati in the pantry.

I've never heard of smoked Basmati until just this moment but now I desperately need it in my life...
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    All of them depending on what it's with. Jasmine rice on Thai night, brown rice usually with fish, Spanish rice on taco Tuesday, plain white rice with Chinese food, and I prefer long grain wild rice with pork chops or steak. Why choose one?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Here's a different take on rice (I eat all of it in moderation, but mostly basmati):
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You obviously didn't bother to read the heartfelt apology in my comment, above.

You go ahead and eat whatever your heart desires.

I hadn't posted in the forum in a few years and hadn't realized how easy it is to get people riled up nowadays.

I wasn't riled by your comment, I just wanted to ask why you said that because we do have a lot of lurkers and newer members who take statements like that to heart. I didn't want anybody to think that one is required to avoid rice in order to lose weight because it isn't true.

While it's true that people are more successful when they identify the calorie-dense foods they personally have trouble moderating, those foods are going to be different for everyone. For everyone who struggles to eat rice in a moderate portion, there are people like myself who have no issues incorporating it into their calorie goals.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    There was an excellent post here awhile back that compared white vs brown rice with major brands. It showed the benefits to brown were nominal. You'll get your fiber and key nutrients from the rest of your healthy diet, some white rice won't do you any harm.

I used to eat lots of jasmine rice but not so much on my weight loss journey. I may throw in a cup when I'm making a soup or stew.
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    I sometimes eat brown rice 3-4 times a week, I only use half a serving size and I fill rest of plate with veggies and chicken/fish/pork.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    There was an excellent post here awhile back that compared white vs brown rice with major brands. It showed the benefits to brown were nominal. You'll get your fiber and key nutrients from the rest of your healthy diet, some white rice won't do you any harm.

I used to eat lots of jasmine rice but not so much on my weight loss journey. I may throw in a cup when I'm making a soup or stew.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    It's calorie dense.

By that logic......we should all be go back to the 1980's low fat craze.....because fat is calorie dense.

I don't eliminate.....anymore. I'm not going to be substituting cauliflower for rice 10 years from now. I love to make Chinese food. So I figure I should learn what a regular portion looks like.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I didn't want anybody to think that one is required to avoid rice in order to lose weight because it isn't true.

For me in particular this was important. I'd failed diets in the past because they insisted I either had to give up rice or eat only brown rice. I LOVE basmati and jasmine rice and frankly, to me, I just don't like the brown versions of those rices as well. I'd feel deprived not ever having my favorite things and give up.

Moderating the amounts, fitting it into my calories, but still getting to taste my favorites on a regular basis was a lifesaver for me.

But everyone's personal experience varies. Clearly if someone has an issue with rice, like the blood sugar problems above, or just can't control themselves around it, then it's better for that individual person to avoid it I suppose. But for me rice is something I'm not really successful without.

It's worth noting though that many "wild rice blends" are mostly white rice, so depending on your goals, read the labels, so you'll know what you're getting.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Eat whatever rice you want. They aren't that nutritionally different. And besides, diets are defined by the whole, not the component.

This. Read the labels. You'll be surprised at how similar they are nutritionally.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Hello! Wild rice ("manoomin" or "the good seed" in the Anishnaabe first nations language) is an AMAZING rice for diabetics. It actually helps regulate insulin levels which makes it kind of a superfood! I would suggest mixing it in with a different rice/grain because of its harder texture. Look for exciting ways to prepare it too like a wild rice pudding or in chicken and wild rice soup! It is seriously so unique and good for you and so special to indigenous cultures.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Tilda branded rice....in a pouch, microwave 2 mins and done. Loads of flavours to choose from and makes me a happy bunny.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Ugh. I'm one of those people that if I eat rice once I start I want to eat the entire bag of it. This week I'm giving it a go again to try to incorporate a single serving into a meal. If it just makes me more hungry then I'll avoid it again for a while. If I've found a satisfying combination of foods then I'll have found a way I can eat it for now without going completely off my head. I'm one of those ppl that believe in eating anything you like so long as it fits your calories. But I also understand that certain things can be trigger foods for people that can be hard to eat in moderation. Rice is one of mine.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Ugh. I'm one of those people that if I eat rice once I start I want to eat the entire bag of it. This week I'm giving it a go again to try to incorporate a single serving into a meal. If it just makes me more hungry then I'll avoid it again for a while. If I've found a satisfying combination of foods then I'll have found a way I can eat it for now without going completely off my head. I'm one of those ppl that believe in eating anything you like so long as it fits your calories. But I also understand that certain things can be trigger foods for people that can be hard to eat in moderation. Rice is one of mine.

I'd be in deep trouble if I ate my entire bag of rice. :wink:

xi2xgt25qk4i.jpg

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Wild rice isn't actually rice!
    My preference is jasmine rice - I can't eat any whole grains (because gut disorder) so brown rice is out. Rice is one of the few carbs that doesn't leave me bloated and in pain.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Rice causes carb induced narcolepsy even among the Chinese. :tired_face: When I'm in our China Office, for a month at a time, they all eat rice at lunch and pass out after lunch. The people at the register always act as if I forgot my rice. Nope.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    If you really want to slash your rice calories, give riced cauliflower a try. Low carb, low calorie and full of vitamins and minerals. I personally don't eat rice, it's very easy to overeat (and consume way too many calories) and it doesn't keep me full at all. I'd rather spend my calories on something full of nutrients.

This is my literal reaction to riced cauliflower and all cauliflower substitutes, lol

y3PWaHz.gif

And honestly, I have tried a bunch of recipes.. never got into it.

When I want rice, I eat real rice, but I do love the "riced" cauliflower blend - the one that includes riced cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, too. I don't eat them as fake rice, though. I use them in spring rolls and potstickers. No more tedious chopping. Super convenient. They also work in creamy soups. It's described as "riced" because it has been processed through a ricer, which chops things into fine particles about the size of rice grains. I guess people cued into the name and decided to use it as actual rice, though? LOL.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member

I'd be in deep trouble if I ate my entire bag of rice. :wink:

xi2xgt25qk4i.jpg

Bahahaha! CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I'm also pleased to say that the meal went really well and I was full and happy after the single serving of rice which is a first for me, woo hoo!