13»

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    just check ur dairy n i have say that u r not really treating the 1200 as ur upper limit 50+% of the time n when u go over it, u GO OVER it. u do hit 1200 on some days so u feel that u r "doing it" but if u go to nutrition page n look at ur weekly (not daily) average caloried intake n i m sure that u will see many weeks u r actually over on an average basis. plus, i think u r misusing the fitbit concept if u r wearing the whole day n entering the calories burned for the whole day (because i see entries of 800 to 1000 cal for exercises n nothing u did can burn that)into MFP where u ONLY should log the calories burned from ur exercises. my suggestion,

1. reset MFP at 1400 to 1600 calories a day n learn to eat accordingly n only set to 1200 when u have success for a few weeks
    2. check ur WEEKLY average calorie intake to see if u r still under for the week regularly
    3. only input the calories u burned from actual exercises (not from ur daily routine) n only eat back half at the max

its great that u r making the right decision to do something for ur health. GOOD LUCK!

Can you clarify what you mean by "nothing you did can burn that"? When I'm set to sedentary, I frequently have Fitbit adjustments that are on the larger side. This isn't misusing the Fitbit, it's how the Fitbit is designed to work. Yes, there is one day with a larger adjustment -- but the other days are close to what I'd expect to see for many women who have a Fitbit sync -- 300-400 calorie adjustments.

If you have a device that is synced, you won't just see the calories from intentional exercise. You will see all activity adjustments for all movement that gives you a higher calorie burn estimate than your activity level would have predicted.

ok, let me answer ur question since i@thought u were the OP.

let say i have 1200 limit. if i wear a fitbit the whole day n it says i burnt 450 cal where i only did 30 min walking on the treadmill (max 100 cal) then i should know that 350 is what i burned in my normal daily routine. if i enter 450 cal in my exercise section in MFP n thinking i have a possible eating limit of 1650 then it is dangerous because i might eat 1600 n think its still under or i look at my weekly stats n it shows great numbers but thats not the case because i m double counting. i dont think sedentary in MFP means one just lie in bed all day long but rather it is including some of the calories that one normally burned in that lifestyle. imagine if i do NO exercise but i wear a fitbit all day long n it tells me that i burned 300 cal, should i enter that into the exercise section n treat it like a possible extra calories that i can eat off of?

PS if OP was only entering the calories burned from exercises n not from the whole day then it is GREAT. i was only pointing a possible oversight

Given what OP has written, it looks like these activities are syncing from her Fitbit. They are not being entered by her. This eliminates the possibility of double-counting as adjustments are only made by a synced device when one moves more than would have been estimated for their activity level. This is what I have been trying to explain to you for several posts now. I get that you don't really seem to understand how syncing works. That's why it might be best for you not to try to offer advice on it until you have a better understanding of it. Syncing is designed to take the whole day into account while eliminating the possibility of double-counting.

I don't have any questions about this and I don't need further explanation. I understand what you're attempting to communicate, I just don't think it applies to OP's situation. It's not accurate to make blanket statements like "nothing you did can burn that" when OP has shared that she sometimes hikes for 2-3 hours on the weekends. Someone who is active can expect to see larger adjustments and if you are a certified fitness instructor, I don't understand why you would think it was impossible for a woman to sometimes burn 400-1,000 calories more than her base needs given days of high activity.

GREAT! Thank u for the information
  • beastmoves
    beastmoves Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    beastmoves wrote: »
    I don't know why the math of weight loss stuff is so confusing for me. I tried that calculator on iifym, still confused. Lets say my goal is 1200 per day and i start sticking to that, if i burn like 150 calories on the treadmill, and i'm also burning calories just by walking around during thr entire day, is that really bad for weight loss too? Because then i wont actually be meeting 1200 calories per day.

Burning more calories is never bad for weight loss, you just want to take it into account when determining your overall calorie goal.

If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's based on your activity without intentional exercise. You can then add back the calories you burn through intentional exercise. So if you burn 150, you would have a "new" goal of 1,350. This makes your net calories for the day still 1,200.

If you're burning calories via walking around for the whole day, then you should be taking that into account when creating your initial goals on MFP. If you choose "lightly active," you will get a higher base calorie level than if you chose "sedentary." Both include estimates of how much you would burn. You don't want to eat back calories from your daily activity because those should be factored into your initial goal. But if you have a day when you move much more than usual, you can consider factoring those in.

Does that make sense?

If you have a Fitbit that is syncing activity (it's unclear to me if you do), then it will do all these adjustments for you -- you don't have to worry about choosing an activity level or whether or not activity is intentional exercise or not.

That helps, Thank you!
  • beastmoves
    Options
    just check ur dairy n i have say that u r not really treating the 1200 as ur upper limit 50+% of the time n when u go over it, u GO OVER it. u do hit 1200 on some days so u feel that u r "doing it" but if u go to nutrition page n look at ur weekly (not daily) average caloried intake n i m sure that u will see many weeks u r actually over on an average basis. plus, i think u r misusing the fitbit concept if u r wearing the whole day n entering the calories burned for the whole day (because i see entries of 800 to 1000 cal for exercises n nothing u did can burn that)into MFP where u ONLY should log the calories burned from ur exercises. my suggestion,

1. reset MFP at 1400 to 1600 calories a day n learn to eat accordingly n only set to 1200 when u have success for a few weeks
    2. check ur WEEKLY average calorie intake to see if u r still under for the week regularly
    3. only input the calories u burned from actual exercises (not from ur daily routine) n only eat back half at the max

its great that u r making the right decision to do something for ur health. GOOD LUCK!

Can you clarify what you mean by "nothing you did can burn that"? When I'm set to sedentary, I frequently have Fitbit adjustments that are on the larger side. This isn't misusing the Fitbit, it's how the Fitbit is designed to work. Yes, there is one day with a larger adjustment -- but the other days are close to what I'd expect to see for many women who have a Fitbit sync -- 300-400 calorie adjustments.

If you have a device that is synced, you won't just see the calories from intentional exercise. You will see all activity adjustments for all movement that gives you a higher calorie burn estimate than your activity level would have predicted.

ok, let me answer ur question since i@thought u were the OP.

let say i have 1200 limit. if i wear a fitbit the whole day n it says i burnt 450 cal where i only did 30 min walking on the treadmill (max 100 cal) then i should know that 350 is what i burned in my normal daily routine. if i enter 450 cal in my exercise section in MFP n thinking i have a possible eating limit of 1650 then it is dangerous because i might eat 1600 n think its still under or i look at my weekly stats n it shows great numbers but thats not the case because i m double counting. i dont think sedentary in MFP means one just lie in bed all day long but rather it is including some of the calories that one normally burned in that lifestyle. imagine if i do NO exercise but i wear a fitbit all day long n it tells me that i burned 300 cal, should i enter that into the exercise section n treat it like a possible extra calories that i can eat off of?

PS if OP was only entering the calories burned from exercises n not from the whole day then it is GREAT. i was only pointing a possible oversight

Given what OP has written, it looks like these activities are syncing from her Fitbit. They are not being entered by her. This eliminates the possibility of double-counting as adjustments are only made by a synced device when one moves more than would have been estimated for their activity level. This is what I have been trying to explain to you for several posts now. I get that you don't really seem to understand how syncing works. That's why it might be best for you not to try to offer advice on it until you have a better understanding of it. Syncing is designed to take the whole day into account while eliminating the possibility of double-counting.

I don't have any questions about this and I don't need further explanation. I understand what you're attempting to communicate, I just don't think it applies to OP's situation. It's not accurate to make blanket statements like "nothing you did can burn that" when OP has shared that she sometimes hikes for 2-3 hours on the weekends. Someone who is active can expect to see larger adjustments and if you are a certified fitness instructor, I don't understand why you would think it was impossible for a woman to sometimes burn 400-1,000 calories more than her base needs given days of high activity.

What you said is correct by the way, I do not enter any calories burned from any exercise or normal daily activity only my fitbit syncs any data for my steps / workouts ( i only put the fit bit watch on workout mode for strength or cycling mode when i do those respective work outs).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I did the iifym calculator and i put lightly active, 5 days working out 60 minutes per day, light intensity and it says 1526 calories per day

OP, if you are getting confused just start with the basics - calories. You have two choices:
    1. Use the calorie goal MFP gives you to lose one lb per week, and eat back some of your Fitbit calories.
    2. Use the TDEE calculator and eat 1526 calories every day.

They will probably work out to about the same anyway. Use a food scale as close to always as possible. That's it.

No one can really tell you if something you are eating is good or bad for you - you have to go by what you like and how you feel. If after a couple of weeks you find you are hungry alot, take a look at your diary and make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and fiber as they can help you feel full.

It takes some time, but accurately logging becomes second nature, and once you have a couple of weeks of accurate logging under your belt you will be able to tweak your diet easily if you need to. Hang in there and good luck :drinker:
  • kimny72
    Options
    And FYI, I wear my Fitbit all day, it is synced with MFP, and I'm set at sedentary. I eat all the calories Fitbit adds and have been maintaining as expected for over a year. As long as you are set sedentary, eating back your Fitbit calories is not double-dipping, it's how it's supposed to work.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's not bad news at all. If it keeps you satisfied and fits your calories, you are just fine.
    No, this is the kind of bad advice I was talking about. Drinking 3 quarts of beer plus plus a bottle of champagne in one day is an unhealthy amount. And the rest of the menu is very out of balance too, at least on many days.

@beastmoves please do talk with your doctor about what you're eating and drinking. An online community can be helpful for some things, but this looks different. Best of luck to you, and good health. :)
  • kimny72
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    That's not bad news at all. If it keeps you satisfied and fits your calories, you are just fine.
    No, this is the kind of bad advice I was talking about. Drinking 3 quarts of beer plus plus a bottle of champagne in one day is too much. And the rest of the menu is very out of balance too, at least on many days.

@beastmoves please do talk with your doctor about what you're eating and drinking. An online community can be helpful for some things, but this looks different. Best of luck to you, and good health. :)

I think her "diet" looks fine during the week, it's the weekends she's struggling with and she admitted that. I do think an easy way for her to get her calories in line would be to drink a more reasonable amount on the weekends.

I believe the quote you referenced though was to her reaction to you saying quorn wasn't a good protein or nutrient source, not anything about her drinking. The poster was merely saying that if she likes quorn and it fills her up, she shouldn't feel bad about eating it.
  • beastmoves
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    And FYI, I wear my Fitbit all day, it is synced with MFP, and I'm set at sedentary. I eat all the calories Fitbit adds and have been maintaining as expected for over a year. As long as you are set sedentary, eating back your Fitbit calories is not double-dipping, it's how it's supposed to work.

Thank you!! :)
  • beastmoves
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    No, this is the kind of bad advice I was talking about. Drinking 3 quarts of beer plus plus a bottle of champagne in one day is an unhealthy amount. And the rest of the menu is very out of balance too, at least on many days.

FYI @dfwesq I know that that isn't good at all, and I have spoken to my doctor about the drinking, not so much the foods though. I am actually working on this, and despite it being a lot / seeming a lot to you, i have come a long way from what i used to drink in a week/weekend.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My advice? Ditch the Oz diet that has you eating things you normally wouldn't, and work on incorporating your 'normal' foods into your calorie goal. From there, work your way up to making better nutritional choices. Normally eat thick crust pepperoni pizza? Next time, switch it up for thin crust. Then next time, sub veggies or ham for pepperoni. That kind of thing. Unless you normally eat Ezekiel bread, almond butter, and quinoa burgers (nothing wrong with any of those things - I just think if it's not what you are going to eat for the rest of your life, you're going to struggle).

Your note on Friday designated it as 'cheat day.' Which looks like turned into cheat Saturday and Sunday, too. I'm a fan of eating higher calories on the weekend, but I don't consider them cheats. I eat a little less through the week to balance it out and I don't generally go completely overboard. Your diary does include what looks like a LOT of alcohol to me, but I don't drink so I'll leave that to the experts :wink:
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    And I was talking about the bars...
    Maybe you replied to the wrong post then? Neither I nor OP were talking about bars.

• beastmoves
    Options
    So I went back on iifym, and then i was trying to make sense of everything, so i made a chart using a screenshot from my past month on MFP.... I really feel like, really just those 6 days that i went over the whole month hinder my weight loss that much, its crazy to me and frustrating... I really don't think my weighing of foods is that off,
    though it could be a little off, but still. I'm just frustrated...z95a5dp8p2t8.png
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

So I went back on iifym, and then i was trying to make sense of everything, so i made a chart using a screenshot from my past month on MFP.... I really feel like, really just those 6 days that i went over the whole month hinder my weight loss that much, its crazy to me and frustrating... I really don't think my weighing of foods is that off,
    though it could be a little off, but still. I'm just frustrated...

6 days over tdee plus 6 days over goal but under tdee, out of 30. And that's assuming perfectly accurate logging of every item in every meal and snack, drink, nibble, etc., which none of us is actually capable of. Some are better than others but there's always an element of estimation. Tdee is also an estimation. That's more than enough to keep you from losing, I'm sorry to say.