Trying to quit added sugar

And fake sugar. So far its been pretty much close to Impossible for me. Anyone have any advice for, at minimum, temporarily quitting sweets to get my impulsiveness in check? It's not a major source of my calories nor a reason that I wouldn't lose weight but I don't seem to have any control on my impulses when I see something sugary even if I don't really care about it I'll still eat it. Example: say someone brings those crappy Entenmann's Donuts to work. I don't really like them much but I'll still eat it impulsively which is annoying because then I can't eat something that I actually like. So I'm thinking a break from sugar may be in order. This is obviously a problem with impulse control but even awareness of the problem has not been helping me so I feel kind of crazy.

Replies

• Jessemelcher
    Jessemelcher Posts: 15 Member
    Don't waste your calories on food you don't like. If you think those are crappy tasting, why eat them? Nobody ain't got no time for that! Lol

ETA skipped a word.

I know what ur saying but thats what makes it so frustrating to me. I cant seem to logic my way out of this one cuz its rediculous.
  • Jessemelcher
    Jessemelcher Posts: 15 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    What helped me with impulse control was to log anything going into my mouth before I consumed it. That way, I can change my mind about how much I want, or if I want it at all, before it's too late to change my mind.

Im going to do this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    And fake sugar. So far its been pretty much close to Impossible for me. Anyone have any advice for, at minimum, temporarily quitting sweets to get my impulsiveness in check? It's not a major source of my calories nor a reason that I wouldn't lose weight but I don't seem to have any control on my impulses when I see something sugary even if I don't really care about it I'll still eat it. Example: say someone brings those crappy Entenmann's Donuts to work. I don't really like them much but I'll still eat it impulsively which is annoying because then I can't eat something that I actually like. So I'm thinking a break from sugar may be in order. This is obviously a problem with impulse control but even awareness of the problem has not been helping me so I feel kind of crazy.

Now that I work remotely, I don't have the problem of being tempted by substandard break room food anymore :lol:

Temptation is harder for me to resist when I haven't had enough sleep, protein, or exercise, so I strive to make sure I'm on top of those things.

Pre-logging might indeed help you. It does help me decide I don't want something after all. I frequently add something to my diary, take a look, think about the consequences, decide I don't want it, and delete it.
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Meh, not impressed with the responses so far.

I think sugar should be researched more and considered to be classified as an addiction. Sugar metabolizes in your body and causes the release of endorphins, much like drugs.

I, too, have a hard time with sugar. Quitting cold turkey can be difficult and can't really be sustained. A few things have helped me manage sugar...

1. Take a lot of notes in your diary on each sugar item you turn-away, decline, don't buy, substitute, etc.. then celebrate it. When you feel an impulse, look back at your notes and gain the strength of how you turned it down before and that you can do it again. If someone offers it to you, tell them you'll come back and walk away. Go busy yourself with something else. Distract yourself. Then, don't go back the rest of the day. Share with those around you that you struggle with sugar and ask for their support and not offer it to you.
    2. Remember to celebrate all the no's you give sugar. Consider building yourself a reward scale. For example, for every 5 donuts you turn-away, you get 1.
    3. Work the sugars into your calorie intake. Sounds crazy to fill your breakfast with donuts (because you can), but make sure it is counted. It quickly adds up, but stay focused on your daily target and don't go over (or exercise more to reduce it if you do). You'll find over time it isn't worth it and your body begins to slowly change before you realize it.
    4. Don't buy it. If you crave it, make yourself have to leave the house to go get it.
    5. Only allow yourself the sugar after you exercise. Sure, eat that cupcake... but, only after you workout.

Take some time to acknowledge where you are weak and create a plan for when you are faced with it. You're not going to cut it out completely.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Don't waste your calories on food you don't like. If you think those are crappy tasting, why eat them? Nobody ain't got no time for that! Lol

ETA skipped a word.

I know what ur saying but thats what makes it so frustrating to me. I cant seem to logic my way out of this one cuz its rediculous.

What's the thought process when you eat something you don't really want to?

Are you eating enough and good enjoyable meals that are balanced and have adequate protein? Are you eating according to a schedule?

What helped me (with a similar issue at one point although once I decided to stop it I did -- and I did start by cutting out added sugar for a while) was to do those thing. Specifically, I ate according to a plan, and thought about it not as NOT doing something but as doing something I wanted to. I would have something I was looking forward to that the whatever would take the place of, and I had reasons in mind to think about that I was doing what I was doing (I think not having reasons in mind makes it easy to say "okay, one day won't hurt" every day). I also for a while was REALLY mindful and only ate at planned meals and if I was tempted to eat outside of a planned meal I'd get a coffee (black, or water or whatever) and make myself think about how soon until my next meal, what I was looking forward to having, why I really wanted to eat, and even journal a bit.

Sounds silly, perhaps, but it was effective.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    The one thing I can count on to stop a sugar craving in its tracks is to eat meat or drink a sugar free protein shake.

As someone else said, proper sleep and good hydration are tremendously important in keeping your will power strong. Personally, I find I have to quit other high glycemic foods at the same time (potatoes, white rice, bread, cereal) because they all cause a similar spike in blood sugar that leads me to future cravings and false hunger cues.

The workplace temptations can be extremely difficult because you're not saying no just once, but many times, especially when items are in your field of vision. It's exhausting. You might pre-plan some other low-calorie options to grab when you get weary of saying no. Beef jerky, nicely seasoned cubes of chicken breast, or make chai tea with unsweetened almond milk instead of water.

In the first few days of quitting sugar, I'm not super strict about my calorie intake. If I can get through 3 - 4 days without high glycemic foods, then I know I will be sane again and I'll feel better. At that point, it's easier to limit calories.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    One more thing! Most cravings go away if you distract yourself with something else for 5 - 10 minutes. I've also gotten cravings to vanish by meditating for a few minutes. I like the "Calm" app for that.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    That was me. I'm pretty sure if people brought sugary stuff to work I'd eat close to half the package. I started allowing within my favorite sweet at the end of the day. It's really helped to be able to say no to things. We had donuts the other day and I decided I wanted my ice cream instead. Ice cream is my fav treat so I started having it everyday and have been so much better with eating things I don't really want but eat because they are there. I've lost weight saving calories for my favorite sugar foods
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    The only thing that works for me with sugar is to quit cold turkey, including artificial sweeteners. After two weeks you won't miss it and it will even taste nasty to you. Just pretend those donuts are made of plastic.

When you are confronted with temptation, have something naturally sweetened instead. Clementine oranges are small and portable. If you have a fridge, Greek yogurt with blackberries is also good. Small portions of almonds might be doable at work.
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Missh1967,

I don't think anyone on here claims to be perfect. In fact, the majority of the posts in the forum are asking for help, ideas or motivation. I also don't think there is a "one size fits all" when it comes to losing weight, choosing alternative options or building muscle.

Because of this, I posed several ideas to help. Some people can't quit sugar (much like some of the responses admit), so building a plan to help quit or lessen intake can be helpful. It might help some, and for others, it might be too beginner. We're all in a different place with our journeys.

Instead of criticizing what I have to post, try to help and offer ideas to someone in need.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I just eat fruit instead. Its still sweet and its a healthy way to get in 9 veg and fruit a day.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    What helped me is if I have snacks on hand because i get very snacky at work. I bring string cheese, fruit, bagels and yes candy or home made sweets. So if there is something out I don't have to have it to fulfill my snack craving I already have something.
    PS. The crappy Entenmann's Donuts you speak of better not be the crumb topped ones because those are heaven If I could still eat gluten I would buy a box and eat them TODAY! :)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    I cut out all added sugars for 2 weeks and it really helped reset my taste buds and cravings. I followed David Zinckenko's Zero Sugar Diet (which should really be called zero added sugar diet) and he gives a lot of recipes and a list of foods - including commercially prepared - that have no added sugars. A few of my lifesavers were:
    *fruit - I ate a ton of fruit especially during the first week. Fruit has a lot of sugar in it true but my issue was candy, cupcakes, etc...and wanting the sweetest thing out there. Plus fruit has nutritional value so the calories actually counted for something. Having berries, apple slices, and frozen grapes available really helped get me the sweet fix I wanted.
    *Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin bread with natural peanut or almond butter - this was my all-time favorite snack during those 2 weeks. It is SO yummy and has no added sugar.
    *Cracked Pepper and Sea Salt Triscuits with really sharp white cheddar cheese, smoked almonds, salted cashews - when my sweet cravings hit really bad I could usually redirect them with salt. These 3 items were the best for a distraction.
    *unsweetened cocoa powder and raw cacao nibs - no sugar but they got me my chocolate fix. I mixed the cocoa powder into coffee and smoothies and the cacao nibs I sprinkled over a bowl of strawberries and raspberries.
    *Twinnings Ultra Spice Chai tea & Good Earth Sweet & Spicy Herbal tea - both have a really strong spicy flavor that doesn't need sweetener. I was drinking 2 or 3 cups of the Chia (black tea) to replace the second and sometimes 3rd cup of coffee I would usually have had (with loads of sugary, chemical creamer) to stave off headaches then switch to the herbal tea for the rest of the day. The extra flavor kept me from missing my Crystal Light, soda, and other stuff.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    The only thing that works for me with sugar is to quit cold turkey, including artificial sweeteners. After two weeks you won't miss it and it will even taste nasty to you. Just pretend those donuts are made of plastic.

When you are confronted with temptation, have something naturally sweetened instead. Clementine oranges are small and portable. If you have a fridge, Greek yogurt with blackberries is also good. Small portions of almonds might be doable at work.

This was my approach. Two weeks, cold turkey, then I added back things like dark chocolate squares in the evening, and some splenda or stevia sweetened treats. That was 15 years ago. I still read labels and avoid stuff with lots of added sugar, including condiments and what not. I never even liked donuts and I used to eat one at 2pm each day. (the campus snack bar near my office had a "two for $2" sale every day, and I'd go with a colleague.)

Bring your own snacks.
    Good luck!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    More protein and lower carbs helps me. I still eat complex carbs but trying to avoid pasta etc. I admit I use sugar substitutes but it doesn't seem to set me off the way the real thing does.
  • kortmom
    kortmom Posts: 5 Member
    I have to eliminate sugar and processed carbs altogether. I cannot have any of it in the house. Ever. I did do two weeks of South Beach diet phase 1 before which is hard to get through but really helps in eliminating cravings. After the 2 weeks you reintroduce whole grains and fruits.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I have cut down on the added sugar alot, and actually my husband came to me last night and said he wanted to cut out most processed foods as well, which I am perfectly fine with! However, I dont plan on never eating any added sugars again, I like occasional treats, Ice cream for example, and I allow myself a small treat every day. Since I started that I find it much easier to not give into to temptations during the day.