How do you manage calories during Ramadan/fasting?

Options
Hi. I'm controlling my eating (not dieting) for the first time. Since this is the month of Ramadan for Muslims. (Withholding from eating or drinking between Dawn and sunset), I'm finding it quite difficult to stay away from the sweet items that my family makes (when breaking the fast, ofcoz). So I was wondering how one can manage their calories intake during Ramadan.
And resisting the temptation to eat sweet food when breaking the fast. Any insights or advice are welcome. Thanks

Replies

• Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm with you, sis.I made a promise to myself that I would lose weight and learn to control my sweettooth, but all I did was gained 5 pounds.Chocolate cake is killing me XD. Assalamu alaykum
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You don't have to change your calorie intake or macro intake, just eat the entirety of your daily calories between the time the sun goes down, and the time it comes back up. If it were me, I'd have two big meals, one after sunset and another in the morning before sunrise. I'd probably have my after sunset meal be the bigger of the two, but that's just me. Good luck
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Get some water and protein first thing. Start off with honey/carbs and things can go downhill in a hurry.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Mubawak Sis,

I know it's hard resisting temptation when family makes dessert for the breaking of fast. The thing is to not indulge. Unfortunately some Muslims treat breaking fast as more of a physical feast rather than a mental or spiritual feast. I agree somewhat with AJ_G, however, I wouldn't eat a meal in the morning. I eat something small, like half a bagel with an egg with a lot of water. That way you can afford to eat more at dinner. Plus you don't risk getting too thirsty because of how much you ate in the morning.

As-Salaam Alaikum