Sodium at restaurants

Options
I went out to dinner last night at a chain restaurant. I don't usually care about sodium levels but I was looking at the carbs, sugar, and protein levels on the menu. Everything on the menu had SO much sodium!
Do you monitor that when trying to lose weight, or not, knowing it's just going to show up as temporary water weight?

Side note: olive garden stuffed mushrooms are delicious.

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I try to watch it most if the time, I don't eat out much so I tend to control it better. But when I do eat out once in a while I say "ehh *kitten* it"
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically track my sodium but I know that when I eat out there will be a lot more sodium than if I'm cooking from scratch at home so I am normally prepared for a water weight gain when I weigh in after eating out. I record my Friday weigh in excel for data trend purposes, as it's usually during the weekend I eat out lol
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Eating out is hopeless with sodium. Even carefully selected "low sodium" meals typically rack up 1000+ . "Heart healthy" labeling is a joke. A big problem is most people are so conditioned to high sodium they expect it in lieu of flavor, and cannot taste flavor without it due to acclimation.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday is the WORST! I can't eat their food. It tastes toooooo salty. Most of the time however I completely ignore sodium . I always drink at least 12 cups of fluid daily so I don't worry about it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, good luck with that. Order stuff with sauce on the side, and be sad. But that's the only way to reduce the sodium. Which is not necessary unless you are known to be salt-sensitive or have a medical condition exacerbated by sodium.

I spent 6 months successfully excluding sodium from my meals. I developed hyponatremia. Since then I've successfully and happily included sodium every chance I get. Our bodies get accustomed to the level of sodium we're eating, and in my case a high-sodium restaurant meal, within my calorie budget, doesn't cause temporary gain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i expect to be a pound or 2 up after a restaurant meal... all part of normal fluctuations IMO.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Do you monitor that when trying to lose weight, or not, knowing it's just going to show up as temporary water weight?

I need to eat extra sodium and I'm losing normally.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

I need to eat extra sodium and I'm losing normally.

Well if you are consuming a consistent amount of sodium you would lose consistently as well.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my meal and don't sweat the water weight. I know I'll have some, so it doesn't bother me.