Tracking oil & butter

Options
2»

Replies

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about oil or butter too much, but if I use it while cooking, I'll usually add an extra 50 calories to my meal. Its not 100% accurate, but its reasonable.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    I track what I put in. If some of it stays in the pan then I reckon that outweighs any odd overestimate on activity.

Same here. I just assume it all went into the food!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    As long as you are consistent then you'll be ok.

Pretty much this -- if you do this, understand that you might be eating more than you think (a lot more if you use a lot) and be consistent and adjust based on results.

That said, what I do is log what I put in the pan, assuming that I am probably not getting it all in reality, but I log it and use tsp and tbsp, so I might be undercounting what I put in anyway, so it evens out. Or it doesn't, but I'm consistent and adjust if needed.

Pretty much what I do too and figure if I don't consume that whole amount its not going to be that huge of a difference.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yes! I measureby tsp or tbsp as on Orlistat so have to be very careful not to go over my fat limit of 15g fat per meal.. I probably overestimate to be on the safe side... hoping to come off the pills in the next 6 months but eating lowish fat and 1600 cals a day working so far!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Another OCD logger. If I'm putting oil or butter in scrambled eggs I'll weigh it and log it completely because it absorbed completely (pancakes too etc) If I'm putting 10g in to coat my pan on something like chicken I may log it as half that since most stays in the pan but there is SOME on my chicken or meat etc.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Another OCD logger. If I'm putting oil or butter in scrambled eggs I'll weigh it and log it completely because it absorbed completely (pancakes too etc) If I'm putting 10g in to coat my pan on something like chicken I may log it as half that since most stays in the pan but there is SOME on my chicken or meat etc.

thats how i do it.

works for me and isnt troublesome
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log everything I use. I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I had a clean skillet. I weighed it. I sprayed olive oil into the pan. This was not a 1/4 second spray as the nutrition label lies. Rather, it was enough to satisfy my need that the pan be lubricated. Then I weighed the skillet again. It weighed 1 gram more. Ever afterward I log 1 gram of olive oil when I spray Pam into my skillet. OCD would be if I weighed it every time.

OCD would be weighing the bacon fat I collect for soap-making to subtract those calories from my log.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat that renders isn't counted if you log cooked bacon. Is it OCD that I add bacon fat back in if I cook eggs or vegetables in the fat after cooking bacon?
  • rosiekateburns
    rosiekateburns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry this thread is so old but can someone confirm if you have to measure coconut oil solid or liquid? Would the weight change drastically? X
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I track butter if using in a pan but when I use oil, it's cooking spray and I don't track that. I never deep fat fry in oil anymore. I air fry most my stuff. oops didn't realize this is zombie thread. :-P
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,448 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes into the pan. Bottle of oil on scale, tar, oil into pan, bottle on scale again, read of weight in grams. Easy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry this thread is so old but can someone confirm if you have to measure coconut oil solid or liquid? Would the weight change drastically? X

Coconut oil should have the same weight solid or liquid.
  • rossalexandraxcd
    rossalexandraxcd Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Lol, why waste your time weighing the oil you're cooking with? First you need to understand what is ghee? It will not affect your fullness in any way if you are active enough in the gym. There is one rule for all people: if you want to lose weight, you need to spend more colors per day than you get. This rule applies to all people who want to get rid of excess weight. Counting calories is possible and perhaps even necessary for those who have problems with excess weight. But counting how much ghee you ate in a day is very stupid, it's not worth doing this. It is better to devote more time to the gym than to such a senseless action.